Chapter 33

Selina sat next to me, neither of us saying anything for the ride. The only sound breaking the heavy silence was the crackling of the scanner and the sound of the Batmobile racing down the highway at far above the speed limit. Selina bit her lip while clenching and unclenching her fists and staring out the window with extreme focus and an almost chilling determination. Fifteen minutes into the speeding chase for Damian the silence is broken by the sound of sirens as we approach the old police station. She leaps from the car and sprints towards the building before I can even turn it off.

"Where is the child?" She says in a low, bone-chilling tone to the Chief.

"We have reason to believe he is somewhere in the building, but we cannot be sure. The suspects have yet to reveal themselves to us."

She looks at me with despair and then looks back at the Chief.

"I'm going in. This child is in danger and he needs to be saved. Batty here can be my back up. Do NOT under any circumstance send ANYONE in until we have been gone for over a half hour."

"Ma'am, I absolutely cannot allow that! You have no business entering the premises before it is clear, especially without an officer. You may be a hero, but you're not invincible."

"Maybe so, but a child's safety is at risk. I AM going in," she looks at me, "Come on Bat. No dillydallying, we are going in NOW." She gives me a death glare and runs in the direction of the back entrance to the station and I follow behind closely.

We reach the back entrance and I jerk the door open with immense force. As soon as we step inside I can hear Harley's voice echoing through the halls. Selina quickly runs towards the voice. She stops in front of the interrogation room door and looks at me with tears in her eyes. As I catch up to her I understand why she is crying, Damian's cries, loud and helpless are coming from inside.