2. Balls are a Pain in the Ass

I groaned into my pillow but got up anyway. When I opened the door Reyna took a look at my hair and freaked a little. "Nico, your hair."

I smoothed it down and didn't do anything else about it. It could not have been that bad in the first place.

"Nico, if your father sees your-"

I cut her off, "I don't care. And you shouldn't either. He can't do anything to you unless I permit it. Hazel would be against you being sent away too. And you're the Captain of the Knights. He can't exactly send you away. The worst he would do is assign me a different guard."

She nodded, "You're right but I hope he doesn't yell at me for it later."

"He'll be too busy dealing with Ethan."

"The Prince that's visiting."

"...right." I didn't say anything else and she didn't reply, sensing this was what I didn't want to speak of.

We headed up to the fourth floor, where the great ballroom and matching balcony was. We'd be doing the announcements from the balcony, where everyone in town could see us. As I stepped up the last stair, Reyna stopped me, an apologetic expression on her face. "Your father asked that you go to his office first. He said he had someone he wanted you to meet."

I ground my teeth and gestured for Reyna to go ahead. I didn't want to worry her more than she already was. So I made my way to the King's office. The door was left ajar and inside stood Prince Ethan and Hades. Hazel must've been waiting for us in the ballroom.

The office wasn't much as it's purpose was a temporary office. There was a big desk facing the door. Behind it was a window. On the walls to my left and right were bookshelves. Most books here were copies. The originals were at the castle.

I stood in the doorway, refusing to enter the room and fully acknowledge Ethan's presence unless needed to. "Father, you called?"

Hades turned to look at me, "Nico, yes." He gestured to the tall black-haired boy at his side. I was quick to notice the eye patch over his right eye. The other sparkled in pleasure at the sight of me. Disgusting. "This is Prince Ethan Nakamura, son of Queen Nemesis. I'm sure you remember him from the birthday ball we held in your sister's honor when she turned ten."

I hardened my face into a mask of indifference, "No."

Hades clucked his tongue, "Well, this is him."

Ethan approached me and held a hand out for a handshake, "Pleased to see you again Nico."

I pretended I didn't see his arm stretched out before me and turned to look at my father instead, "Is this all? The people are waiting."

Hades nodded, there was an angry glint in his eye but I couldn't have cared less. "Very well. Let's tell them the grand news."

We made our way to the ballroom. Hades walked before me and Ethan was behind me, I felt his stare the entire time. When we got there, Hazel came to me, probably to keep me company, but then she noticed Ethan come up behind me. She curtsied and gave me an apologetic grimace as Hades instructed her to walk onto the balcony before me, alone, and I with Ethan by my side. It's not like we're already married, I wanted to say but I held back my tongue, knowing that would set off my father at last.

As I surveyed the people beneath us, I felt the confusion emanating from seeing Prince Ethan beside me.

And then my father announced Hazel as the future Queen and that I would be leaving Inferos to rule by Prince Ethan's side in Vindectae. We were engaged. Officially.