4. I Went to a Festival

That night, after Will said those things and I became sure I would never lay eyes on him again. Reyna had come running out, telling me the party was over and my father was looking for me so I could bid farewell to the guests and to Ethan. When I'd looked back to where Will had been, intending to say some kind of goodbye, he was already gone.

Now, almost three months later, Reyna came knocking at my door. I had gotten out of bed to take a book back with me to read in bed so I was close enough to the door to open it instead of just yelling at her to come in, "There's someone here to see you."

"Someone?" Who could it be? My other close friend, Jason, had been really preoccupied for a while now, all I'd gotten from him in months were letters. So, I highly doubted it was him. Last I heard from Jason, he was still stressing about planning the perfect engagement party for himself and his fiance, Piper. Well, his to-be fiance. He was planning on asking her to marry him at the ball in question.

Her lips curled into a smirk. "A Duke. From Caelum."

My heart sped up as Will came to mind. Really? Could it be him? And why the hell was I so... Jumpy. Why did it matter if it was him? I knew almost nothing about him. I decided to blame it on nerves for seeing a person. I wasn't so great with those after all. "I'll be down as soon as I get dressed."

Reyna nodded and was turning to leave before she stopped and looked at me asking me if there was anywhere I should send him so we may meet there. She was still smirking like she expected me to send him a flower while she was at it. Maybe even a whole bouquet and a love note. Please. I don't even know what love is. At least not in a romantic way. I've never felt that way towards anyone.

Although, a couple years ago, there was someone. I thought I was in love with him for the longest time. I later realized it wasn't love that I felt. It was a simple crush, bordering on infatuation. When I realized this, I couldn't have been happier. I was so glad I wasn't in love with someone who was in love with someone else. After realizing it, it became increasingly easier to move on. Of course, we're still what I believe you can call friends and I don't mind. I'm just happy I'm not in love with him.

Anyway, I thought over Reyna's query before deciding on the library.

Reyna nodded again at my reply and left.

I dressed as quickly as my body lets me and paid no attention to my hair, I mean, it wasn't any official business, what did it matter?

Once I was standing in front of the library doors, I decided maybe my hair did matter a little and attempted to brush it back. It definitely had nothing to do with whoever I was about to see. I pushed open the doors and there stood the freckled god.

Will stood with his back to me at the very back, looking through the books. His hand landed on a purple one and he pulled it out. I watched as he paged through it and read what seemed to be the first chapter. He hadn't yet seemed to realize I was standing in the doorway. I cleared my throat. Will jumped and stuffed the book back where it'd been like he'd been caught doing something he wasn't supposed to. He turned to look at me with a blush on his cheeks. He nodded in greeting, "Prince Nico."

I smirked, amused at his embarrassment. "Duke William."

His eyes met mine and he composed himself quickly. "I came to return something to you."

I raised an eyebrow, "Oh?"

He pulled something out of his pocket and held it up to the light. It was a skull ring with red ruby jewels as eyes. My ring. My mother had given me the ring on my birthday before her death. Since then, I'd had it resized at least three times. When had I lost it? I entered the library, letting the doors close and made my way to stand in front of him. "Where did you get it? When did I-"