3 Miserable Months

"You know, my brother is perfect for you. He made a  mistake with Natalie but, he'll come around. " The due date for the baby was approaching faster and faster, and I hadn't seen Jack in over 3 months. He tried to call me but I would never answer, I just
..I don't know it was like I wanted to distance myself from him but I wanted to be with him at the same time.

Nothing had happened in the last 3 months, I had gone to work everyday after meeting Brandon, he was my wake up call. He made me want to move on even though he wanted me to wait on Jack, it's strange I know.

I was sitting at my desk in the office answering phone calls and looking at venues by the beach. I must have been really sucked into my work because the second the phone went off I answered it.

"Hello, this is Megan Brooks. From spectacular designs who is this?"

"Gosh it's great to finally hear your voice. It's been so long!" It couldn't be who I thought it was, could it?

"Jack?"

"That's me! Did you miss me?" I definitely did,after he technically quit his job here , I've missed his voice and smile. He decided to quit and be with Natalie or so he says but the truth is Natalie hates me and doesn't want me to be around him. Anyone with a brain could figure that out, it's not like Jack was pregnant so there wasn't any reason to leave work, but non the less Jack would never hear of it.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Well the baby's due really soon. So we will finally get the results, I was just hoping we could start over." Start over, I liked the idea of that.

"Or we could pick up from where we left off." I suggested with a huge smile plastered on my face. I heard some loud screams on the other line and then a very rude Natalie yell.

"Gotta go-" Jack said hanging up, did this mean that the baby was coming? I couldn't help but wonder. But just as thoughts came rushing through me, the phone rang again.

"Meet me at the Red Wood Hospital on Elms street, hurry." And then just like that he hung up on me again.

I sighed as I thought of how amazing it was to talk to him. Who knows maybe it's the last time I'll talk to him, I immediately shook that thought out of my head. I quickly finished up work,and left the office and typed in the location into google maps.

~*~

As I made my way into the hospital and to the front desk a young man in his late 20s greeted me.

"2nd door to the left." He said with a wink. I studied his face and to my surprise it was no other than Brandon.

"Since when are you are nurse?"

"Since I graduated from medical school. Now you best be hurrying shes only a few minutes apart." I smiled at him and quickly made my way to the room. Who would have known Brandon was a nurse? Definitely not me.

"PUSH!" A male nurse called.

"SHUT UP! DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"

"Natalie please relax.." Jacks voice called out soothingly.

"Oh I'm sorry would you like to take over?" She said to Jack bitterly.

At this point I was still debating on going in as things just kept heating up. But after a few looks from people walking by wondering why I was hesitating, I opened the door to go in.

"Why is she here?" Natalie said in the most bitter way.

"I asked her to come." Jack said calmly, he was obviously trying to calm her down.

"Why?"

"For the test."

"What test?"

Dead silence. Did he not tell Natalie?

"You know which test, don't joke around Natalie."

"Fine." And then another contraction started and I could finally breathe again. Glad that awkward moment was over.

~*~

"This is Emerald." Jack said while passing over the baby to me. It had been an extremely short labor and Natalie had given birth to a beautiful and healthy baby girl. She was absolutely adorable, blue eyes, blonde hair, dark and long eyelashes and the most adorable nose.I held her close to me and as the doctor came in I felt my breath hitch.

" Natalie is doing great. She's resting right now but we are going to go ahead and start the procedure."

"The DNA test?" I asked.

"Yes, if you will both just follow me..."

We followed him into a small room down a very long hall. I sat by Jack on a chair and passed Emerald to the doctor. He lightly cradled her in his arms as she was starting to fall asleep. He balanced her in his arms and quickly drew some blood, he then placed it in a near by tube and wrote a few numbers on the tube.

"Jack, you're next." He said with a smile. Jack stood up and and moved onto the patient bed and sat right on top of it. The doctor placed the needle into his arm extracting some blood. Jack looked away and after a moment looked back at the test tube and cringed.

"Do you not like needles?" The doctor asked.

"Who does?" Jack responded honestly.

"Fair enough." The doctor responded with a smile and then walked out of the room with the two tubes of blood.

Jack stepped down from the bed and sat beside me again. He grabbed my arm, he was obviously concerned.

"It's going to be okay, either way."

"No I might lose you."

"No you won't. I will always be here for you" I said reassuringly, even though I didn't believe that. I was sure that we would go our own ways of it was his baby, I just knew it. I gently laid my head on his shoulder. He held me close, it was like nothing changed.

"I love you Megan Brooks, I always will." He said while kissing the top of my head. Before I could respond the doctor came in though the door. Wow that was quick I mentally said.

Thump thump. My heart was beating wildly, my hands locked with Jacks for support, I didn't know what to feel in this moment.

"The results are in Jack you are-"