The Proposal

"The results are in, Jack you are indeed the father."

Thump, thump, thump.

Dead silence as I felt Jacks hand untwine with mine.

"I ....am?" Was all he managed to say.

"I'm sorry but it's true." The doctor said trying to comfort Jack.

"Can you leave us alone?" I asked the doctor quickly, he nodded and left the room.

"So...you're the father.." I said not believing a word the doctor said.

"I guess so."

"What about us...."

"I don't know...I guess we can't..."

"I understand." I said quickly and shocking myself because I understood nothing. How could it be over forever? Jack stood up and a small little box fell out of his coat. He quickly picked it up and turned to me wondering if I saw it.

"It's for Natalie, if I was the father we would need to get married and stuff..." He said uneasy and regretting every word as he said them.

"Oh." Was all I said as Jack made his way to the door.

"Bye Megan."

"Um..bye Jack." The tears came streaming down my face the second he closed the door.  So this is what it feels like to loose hope.

~*~

I made my way to the cafe at the hospital to grab a bite to eat, I was grabbing some soup when I spotted Jack and Natalie. Jack was on one knee. This couldn't be happening!

"Natalie will you marry me?"I rolled my eyes and continued to plate some saltine crackers.

"Yes!" She said which was then followed by a loud applause.

My heart was then ripped out of my chest, but right as I was turning to leave an arm grabbed me.

"Come on, let's go." Said a very familiar voice, by instinct I followed the person outside. I was so relived when he turned around with the sea blue eyes that I always seem to get lost in. Brandon.

"Where are we going?"

"Away from here. I'm sorry that, that happened in front of you."

"Yeah me to." I said while climbing into his red mustang.

"Let's go for some dessert? It should cheer you up. And I've been wanting to talk to you."

"Sounds like a plan."

~*~

The bakery was tiny but homey, one of those family owned businesses. As we walked in a young female greeted us. While Brandon ordered I watched the girl stare all lovey dovey at him. He looked unaffected as if he didn't see what she was doing, he just pushed his hair to one side and looked back up at me.

"I was thinking we could start over." Brandon said as I sat across from him at the table.

"Um..okay."