Chapter 3

Chuck and I stood in the homestead and I watched the opening of what Chuck called The Maze. I was curious as to what was out there, but no one would tell me. I started heading toward the door quickly and Chuck yelled after me. "You can't go in there!"

"I know. I just want to get a closer look." I waved my hand at him as I approached the door. Before I could take another step someone was grabbing me by the arm and quickly yanked me away. "Hey!" I groaned as I fell to the ground. 

"You're not allowed to go in there. It's the rule Greenie and I'm sure someone told you about it." A tall boy stood in front of me. 

"Like I told Chuck I wasn't going in. I just was curious and wanted a closer look." He crossed his arms as I began to stand up. 

"No one is allowed to enter the maze, except Runners. No one." He raised his voice at me.

"Okay, Gally calm down. Leave the Greenie alone." Newt came running over and stood by me. 

"I was just stopping her from going inside The Maze. 

"I already told you I wasn't going to enter, I just wanted a closer look!" I snapped at Gally. 

"Someone's feisty." Gally raised his already high arched eyebrows at me. 

"Come on Stacey." Newt turned and I followed. We headed away from the other boys and I glanced over at Newt. 

"What's his problem?" I asked curiously. 

"He was stung." I scrunched my face, confused by what he just said. 

"Stung?" I asked Newt, confused by everything and everyone inside The Maze. 

"By what we call a Griever. They are what live in the maze at night and if anyone is in the maze when the doors close they don't make it back alive." Newt explained. "Gally was stung shortly before Thomas arrived. Went through the changing and everything."