Chapter 16

*Stacey's POV*

"Chuck!" Thomas screamed. The boy shook in Thomas's arms. "Chuck.." Thomas said in a whisper, tears rolling down his face.

"Thomas." Chuck barely got out.

"I'm here Chuck. Hang on, don't die. Someone get help!" Thomas shouted.

Nobody moved or did anything, but Thomas knew, I mean we all knew, that there was nothing that could be done, it was too late. Chuck was already gone.

"Thomas," Chuck whispered. "Find my mom, please."

"I will Chuck."

"Tell her.." Chuck wasn't able to finish and everything and everyone went silent. Everyone stared at Chuck. Thomas wouldn't let go and just kept crying, even harder now.

"No!" Thomas shouted, his face falling into Chucks body. "No!" I wish I could do something. Help someway, but I can't.

"Thomas.." I whispered, but he ignored me.

"I promised him!" He screamed. "I promised I'd save him, take him home! I promised!"

"Come on Thomas." Minho walked close to him. He placed his hand on his shoulder, but Thomas pushed it off.

No one said a word. Only looked at Thomas and the lifeless body he held in his arms.

Thomas hugged Chuck, pulling him up to his chest. He squeezed him tightly and sobbed. He refused to let go.

***

After a full 10 minutes Thomas finally let go of Chuck. He was still crying, but he clutched something in his hand. No one bothered to speak.

"Thomas," I knelt down beside him. "He's in a better place now. He risked his life for you. There's not much to be done now. But what we need to do is get out of here. Chuck would want us to get out and go into the world, go back to our old lives before the Maze." He didn't say a word, all he did was look around the room at the Gladers standing there. Thomas threw himself onto me and hugged me tightly. 

"Stacey, you're amazing." He whispered into my ear before letting go. I looked at him and gave a reassuring smile. We both stood up and faced the others. 

Chuck and Thomas have grown so close together from being in the Glade, but now Chuck is gone. His limp body, laid on the floor, surrounded by all his friends he's had for the past couple of months. I felt tears prick in my eyes and tried to wipe them away. 

Thomas looked up at me and wiped his eyes. He could tell I was sad and the tears finally fell down my cheeks. No one said a single word. Everyone was just drawn back but everything that just happened.

Finally Newt broke the silence. "We have to leave." Thomas nodded and broke eye contact from Chucks body.

"He's right. We can't risk another WICKED creator coming in here." Thomas spoke. Everyone was startled by a bright light and a loud noise from behind. A door began opening and men ran in. They were carrying guns and wore protective gear. Were they here to save us or to hurt us? I looked at Newt and he seemed a little scared. I wiped the tears from my eyes and took one last look at Chucks lifeless body.