Chapter 17

*Stacey's POV*

The men looked around for anyone out of place. They all surrounded the others and I. Finally one man spoke. "We don't have time to explain. Just follow me and run like your life depends on it. Well, because it kinda does."

The guys started running out. "Go!" A man shouted from behind.

After hesitation, the Gladers followed. Each one almost stomping one another in the rush to get out of the chamber. Everyone was trying to get as far away as fast possible. As far as they could from the Grievers and the Maze. Thomas was the last to leave. He didn't want to leave Chuck behind, but he knew we had no choice. Newt grabbed my hand and ran with me.

Finally we were outside. Finally away from all the pain and suffering. 

"Get on! Hurry!" A man screamed. The bright sun blinding them and burning their skin. They kept running and were forced into a helicopter. Thomas, hesitating to get on. One of the men grabbed him and dragged him on.

A hand grabbed me and I screamed. I turned around to get a look at who it might be. She pulled me out of the helicopter. "Gonna save us all!" The woman, who was hideous, spit in my face. "Gonna save us from the flare!" I looked at her confused.

Flare?

The men dragged her off me and helped me back on the helicopter. They shut the door and the helicopter was off.

"What's going on?" Thomas asked one of the men.

"That's a long story." He replied.

"Please. Please tell us something, anything." I practically begged.

The man looked around at all of us then his gaze focused on Thomas. "It'll take a while before you get your memories back, if you ever do - were no scientists. We don't know what they did to you or how they did it."

For an instant I felt my heart drop. What is he talking about? "Who are they?" I asked him.

"It started with the sun flares, they couldn't have been predicted. Sun flares are pretty normal, but these were unprecedented. Massive even. Spiking higher and higher - and once they got noticed, it was only minutes before the heat slammed into the earth. First our satellites were burned out, and thousands of people died instantly. Millions within just a few days. Countless miles became nothing but wastelands. Then came sickness." She paused to take a breath. "As the ecosystem fell apart, it became impossible to control the sickness - even to keep it in South America. Jungles were fine, but insects weren't. People refer to it as the flare. It's a horrible, horrible thing. Only the richest of people can be treated, no one can be truly cured." The man smiled a little. "As for all of you - you're just a few of millions orphaned. They tested thousands, chose you for the ultimate test. Everything you lived through was calculated and thought through. Catalysts to study your every move, brain waves, and thoughts. All just to find people who are capable of helping us find a way to beat the flare." He paused again. "Most physical effects are caused by something else. First delusions start, then animal instincts begin to overpower our human brains. Finally it consumes our brains, destroys our humanity. It's all in the brain. The flare lives there. It'd be better to die than to catch it." He paused. "We won't let them do this to children. We've sworn our lives to fight off WICKED. We can't lose humanity, no matter what." She looked outside the window. "You'll learn more as time goes. We live in the far north. We're separated by the Andes - they call it the scorch. It lies between here and there. It's centered mainly around the equator - just heat and dust now. It's filled with savages claimed by the flare beyond help. We're trying to cross that land - fine a cure. But until we can, we will fight WICKED and stop the experiments and tests." She looked at Thomas and I. "It's our hope you will join us."

***

They finally landed two hours later and I'm exhausted. They were surrounded by a giant building.

Everything was so much different here then in the Maze. More life and color. "I've been shucked and gone to heaven." Minho said, speaking for everyone.

We were led inside. Given beds, clothes, and real bathrooms to use. I can't remember what it was like to have these things, because in the Maze we didn't have much. They had dinner, pizza. Actual food. Food they didn't have to kill themselves and cook themselves.

Everyone remained quiet, enjoying their food. Everyone was finally smiling and truly happy. They finally found their way out and could live. Have real food, real beds. I was taken to a different room than the boys. I barely had the chance to even say goodbye.

*Thomas's POV*

They all headed to their assigned bunkers. I shard a bunk with Minho, who insisted on having the top. "Hey, Thomas?" Minho said from above me.

"Yeah?"

"What do you think happened to the other Gladers who stayed behind?" I've never really thought about it. "I don't know. But based on how many of us died getting here, I wouldn't like to be one of them right now. Grievers are probably everywhere."

"Do you think we're safe here?"

I thought about that question for a minute. "Yes, I think we are." I drifted off asleep, ignoring other questions or statements Minho had.

Tomorrow would be a new day.