Chapter 11

"So how'd it go with Alby?" Newt asked me.

"What do you think? He won't let me be a Runner." I groaned.

"I figured, but at least you tried, right?"

"I guess, but he won't even give me the chance to prove myself." I sighed. Newt's right, it was worth a try. Even though Alby said no. I've been through every job and I was only good with Frypan, but I really want to be a Runner. "Newt, would talking to Minho help my chances with becoming one?"

"I don't know. It could be worth a shot. He should be back soon. You could ask him then?" I nodded.

"Thanks Newt." He looked at me.

"For?" He asked.

"Just being nice for me and being there for me. It's been hard for me since I've gotten here." I looked back at him and smiled.

"No problem Stace." He smiled that adorable smile. I smiled back and looked at the ground. "You have a beautiful smile."

*Newt's POV*

Stacey smiled and looked at the ground. Gosh she has a beautiful smile. Shuck it, "you have a beautiful smile." I finally said. Her cheeks turned red and she smiled even more.

"Thank you." She looked up at me. We stared at each other for the longest time without saying a word. What I like most about here is that she isn't afraid to say what she is thinking or feeling. Especially with Gally.

I hope Minho and Thomas can find a way out soon, she doesn't deserve this, none of us do. "Hey, I'm gonna talk to Alby and see if he'll give you a chance at being a Runner."

"Really?" Her eyes lit up with excitement.

"Yeah, it really seems like that's what you want to do, so why not?"

"Thank you, again. You're the best." She threw her arms around me and hugged me tightly. I hugged her back quickly. I didn't want to let go, it felt nice and warm. 

"You're welcome." I said quietly. "Come on. Let's go find him." We found Alby and I told her to wait outside. "Give me a minute." I walked inside and to Alby. "Hey."

"Hey Newt." I sat by him.

"Can you please give Stacey a chance at being a Runner?" I asked him. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me.

"Newt, like I told her, it's dangerous."

"I know, but she really wants a chance at least."

"What if she can't do it? With the Grievers coming out during the day it's even more dangerous now."

"Alby, she out ran Henry right? Henry was a runner."

"I know, but-" I cut him off.

"Greenies get a chance at trying EVERY job, correct?" He nodded. "Then why can't she try this job? What if she's good at it and she's the only hope we have."

"Do you think she can do it?" He asked me.

"Yes, and so does she. Just one day. Thomas can stay with her and show her how it works. I know Thomas can do that."

"Fine, she will go out tomorrow. When Minho and Thomas get back go tell them. Make sure Thomas knows not to leave her alone at all in the Maze, but if this goes south it'll be on you," I nodded and smiled. "Now go."

I walked out and told Stacey the good news. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." She jumped on me and hugged me again. She wrapped her legs around my waist and I hugged her.

"You're welcome."

"I have an actual chance at becoming a runner." She squealed quietly and I chuckled softly. "Oh sorry. Didn't mean to do that." She blushed.

"It was cute." I smiled and she looked at me.

"Not really."

"Yes huh."

"Nope."

"Yes." I stuck my tongue out at her. She laughed.

"Better put that back in your mouth young man."

"Or what?"

"I'll do this." She jumped on me, knocking me to the ground.

*Stacey's POV*

I knocked Newt to the ground and he rolled over and hovered over me. "How'd that work?" She smirked.

"Real funny." I tickled his sides, but he didn't budge. "Get off me fatty." I joked.

"Oh I'm fat?" He laughed and looked me in the eyes. He was really close to me and I don't know if I like it or not. I nodded my head and we both laughed. We just stayed quiet and stared at each other, for what seemed like forever.

"Hey love birds. Get up." Newt quickly moved off me.

"Oh hey Minho." He was smiling at us both. "What?"

"Nothing." He laughed a little.

"Oh yeah, Alby told me to tell you that our new Greenie here will be with you tomorrow?"

"What?" Minho raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah, she really wants to be a Runner and she convinced Alby, well I convinced Alby, to let her try it once and you can decided. But the deal was Thomas cannot leave her side." Newt explained.

"Alright, see you bright and early tomorrow Greenie." Minho smiled. "And no more PDA guys." He winked and walked away. I could feel my cheeks becoming bright red.