Chapter 7

Alby and the other keepers, beside Gally, decided I meant no harm. Today Alby had me working with the Med-Jacks. "So you don't really do much do you?" I asked Jeff. Clint, the keeper of the Med-Jacks had to go do something else right now.

"Not really. Most people are cautious and try not to get hurt. Most of the time we deal with small cuts or burns and usually just common colds. It's rare we deal with something more serious. It's usually just from someone getting small injuries during work or when the Gladers want to goof off and fight with each other." Jeff went on to explain to me.

"It must get pretty boring in here then." I sat on one of the make shift beds. 

"Not really. Clint tries to keep us as busy as possible. Whether that's keeping medicine dated so they don't go old or keeping organize and staying clean. It's just the little things, but it's usually enough to keep us busy so we don't get bored." Jeff continued to go through the cabinets and straighten things out. 

"Gotcha." I nodded.

"Hey guys! How's it going in here?"

"Well Greenie here hasn't gotten to do much. I don't think we've had a single problem for her to help out with."

"Should I go get hurt so Stacey can experience what it's like to be a true Med-Jack?" Newt joked. 

"Haha no, but thanks. Clint said he'd be back in a bit and would find work for her to do." Jeff looked up from his work only for a moment to glance over at Newt. 

"Well in that case, can I borrow Stacey for just one minute?" I looked at him confused, but he only smiled at me.

"Go for it." Jeff said and went back to whatever the hell he was doing.

"What's up?" I asked Newt when we got out side, away from Jeff.

"So Gally's not happy." I looked at him a bit confused. "That you aren't being punished or anything at all because of what happened with Henry and you."

"But, like I told Gally I don't know what Henry is going on about."

"I know Stacey, but Gally doesn't like to listen to anyone. He thinks whenever someone says something bad it must be the truth. He went through the same thing with Tommy. He's not very fond of you two." Newt said. "Just be careful, okay? I don't want you to get hurt." His voice was now worrisome. 

Why was Newt so worried about me? "I will try my hardest. Thanks again Newt. I should get back in and do some work." I gave him a small smile and turned to go back into the building. 

"See you later Greenie." He walked off into the Glade and I went back inside the Med-Jack building.

"He's totally into you." Jeff was already staring at me when I came into his sight. 

"He is not. He just wanted to talk and make sure I was okay. "

"Yeah talk." Jeff smirked and put quotations around talk. I picked up a bandage, throwing it at him, but missing and knocked over a tray instead.

"Oops." 

"What are you two doing in here?" Jeff and I both burst into laughter. "Okay Greenie and Jeff come here. She's gonna practice wrapping a broken arm."

"But my arm isn't broken." Jeff raised his eyebrows, sounding a little sarcastic. 

"Then pretend it is. Come on." Clint got something out of a wooden box and brought it over to me. "This is what we use to wrap bad cuts or broken bone. It's really not that hard. You start in one spot and just continue to wrap, until it's pretty well covered." Clint showed me first, then he made me try. I didn't really get it at first. It took me at least 5 tries to almost get it. After about 10 tries Jeff started to complain.

"My arm hurts. Why can't she do this on your arm?"

"Okay. That's enough for now." Jeff was happy and got up. "Being a Med-Jack may not be the job for you."

"You think?" I laughed. "I've only done two jobs so far and I haven't been good at this one and I almost got myself killed working in the gardens." I sighed.

"You'll find the right job for you." Clint wrapped the bandages back up nicely and put them away. 

"Yeah, cause I don't really have a choice." I looked at him.

"Well yeah, but Alby and the keepers will choose what they think you're the best at." We both laughed. "So.."

"So what?" I made a face at him.

"What's going on with you and Newt." He smiled at me. 

"Nothing. Why does everyone think something is going on? Newt's a really sweet guy and he's been nice to me since I've gotten here, but isn't that his job?"

"It's clear you two like each other." Clint smiled a little more.

"I'm in a maze full of shuck faces."

"He likes you." Clint kept teasing. 

"Clint." I said sternly. 

"Stacey." I took a deep breath and groaned in defeat. Why does everyone think Newt and I have something going on?

"Newt and I have nothing going on. I'm not worried about anything like that. I just wanna be able to fit in and get the hell out of here as soon as possible."

"Mhm. You and Newt will end up together." Clint laughed.

"Will not."

"Will too."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"We will not." I crossed my arms.

"Fine, whatever you say Green Bean."

"Names Stacey. Not Green Bean."

"Sassy one we have here." Clint laughed.

"You know it." I flipped my hair and laughed along.

What if he is right? What if Newt does have a thing for me? "Greenie?" Clint snapped me out of my thought.

"You can go if you'd like. The day is pretty much over and you seem bored." Jeff said.

"Thanks guys. Sorry I'm a terrible Med-Jack." We all laughed. 

"Have a good evening, Stacey." I walked outside and into the middle of the Glade. I sat down in the grass and started to think to myself.

"Stacey! Stacey!"

"Huh, what?" It was Minho. He was sitting right in front of me.

"How you enjoying your first couple of days so far?"

"Been a klunk couple of days." I sighed.

"It'll get better. Once you get your job and start getting use to how things run it seems to get easier."

"I hope so."

"Smile." He used his hands to form a smile on my face and I couldn't help but to laugh at him.

*Newt's POV*

Clint and Jeff had said they let Stacey leave early. I was looking for her, until I saw her sitting in the middle of the glade with Minho. She had the biggest smile on her face and Minho was talking to her. I watched them closely and became curious as to why Stacey was so happy and smiling a lot, but I didn't bother to go over to them.

The rest of the runners finally returned and the maze was about to close. Minho and Stacey were still talking to each other and man was it killing me to know what about.