Chapter 10

*Stacey's POV*

I looked up at Newt, a bit confused. "Why does the things that happened to Thomas when he first got here keep happening to me. What so special about him and I?"

"I don't know. But you're obviously special."

"How?" I asked him.

"I mean look around you. The only girl we've ever gotten. You must be some sort of sign or something. like that" I thought about it. I mean I have ever been the only girl sent up, and for Thomas and I to experience the same things, it's weird.

"I just don't get it."

"Me either Stacey." I sighed and looked back at the ground. It was getting pretty late and neither Newt or I have gotten any sleep yet. "You should go get some sleep."

"You should too Newt."

"I know." He said.

"I'm staying up with you. Unless you want me to leave you alone." I looked at him.

"Oh no. You can stay." We both sat quietly for what seemed like hours.

***

"So how long have you been here?" I asked Newt, finally breaking the silence. 

"I was one of the first few people after Alby." Newt explained. "That's why whenever Alby isn't able to take control I'm in charge."

"Makes sense." I laughed a little. "Alby must've gone crazy being the first one here. It had to be weird to get use to things and finally get them in order. 

"Yeah. It took us almost a year to get things working how they are today." Newt finally turned to face me. "We still have some flaws, but nothing to major that we can't work past." 

"I bet. You guys seem to have gotten so use to being here." He nodded. "Now if only we could find a way out and get back to whatever is out there."

"Yeah. They keep running and mapping the Maze. Still nothing." Newt and I looked at each other, then away again. "It kinda has me worried."

I nodded. "Me too."

"Let's head to the Homestead. It's late and we both need our sleep."

I agreed and we went to the homestead. "See you later Newt." I laid down and rolled over on my side.

***

It took a while, but I eventually fell asleep last night. I was woken up the next morning by Newt. "Ready to get to work again greenie?"

"Do I have a choice?" I laughed and sat up. I slipped on the shoes I had.

"Nope, now let's go. You'll be in the kitchen with Frypan today." We walked in that direction. Finally someone I knew and a job that could keep me entertained today. 

"Okay." I followed closely behind Newt, not saying another work.

"Hi. Ready to work?" Frypan glanced over at us when we walked in. He was just finished up with breakfast when people started to gather in and grab their food. 

I helped him serve the food to the other Gladers, then afterwards he got me to wash the dirty stuff. "So how's your first week been?"

I've been here for a week now and it's been a klunk week. "Not the best, but I have to live with it and I guess I'll eventually adjust to it."

"Yeah, we all kind of got use to it and just started going along with the flow of things. You'll get the hang of it. Just give it another week or two." Frypan said. We have a few more hours until we really have to do anything else. The next time we work is when we have to get ready for lunch. It isn't so bad working with Frypan. He isn't too demanding and he's a friend, so it makes it easier to work with. I kinda hope I get this job, it's been the only one I'm semi-decent at.

"Thanks Frypan."

"For?" He gave me a confused look.

"Being friendly and everything since I've gotten here." I smiled softly. "Some people haven't been too nice or whisper things behind my back. I feel like some sort of outcast." 

"No problem. I've been in your spot before. It's not the best situation to be in and I can't imagine being a girl, the only girl for that matter, in this situation."

"I know."

***

The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. Frypan showed me how to cook the most popular meals and how to properly clean things. His job is the easiest I've done. "So Greenie, you and Newt?" Frypan said.

"You people." I groaned. 

"What people?"

"Everyone. Everyone I talk to seems to think Newt and I have something going on. He's just been really nice since I've gotten here and a good friend." I groaned.

"Wanna know why?"

"Why?" I crossed my arms. 

"He likes you." Frypan laughed.

"He does not." 

"Does too." 

"Nope."

"Yes."

"Nope."

"Yes."

"Nope."

"Nope what?" Someone interrupted us, finally. It was Thomas.

"Thomas, doesn't Newt like our Greenie here?"

"Oh he totally does." Frypan gave me a look of I told you so.

"He does not." I crossed my arms.

"He does."

I shook my head at the two boys. "I'll see you two later. I have to go find Alby."

"Bye." The two of them said as I left to go find Alby. I really wanted to ask him about becoming a runner. I finally found him, sitting in the Med-Jack. "Hey Alby. How ya feeling?"

"Hey." He looked over at me. "Hanging in there."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Make it quick Greenie."

"Can I become a runner?" I bit my lip, nervous for an answer.

"No." I should've expected that. 

"Why not."

"Because it's too dangerous and you're not ready for it."

"It's because I'm a girl, isn't it." I said angrily. "You think because I'm a girl, it means I'm not strong enough or fast enough."

"No, that's not it."

"Then why can't I?" I asked.

"Because, we don't just let anyone become a runner."

"Then let me try. One day, just give me one day and if I fail then I won't ask again."

"I said no. Now you have to go. I need to rest and you have to finish your work for the day."

I groaned quietly and left Alby alone. Why won't he even give me a chance?