Chapter 17. Raincheck

Lydia and I have grown closer over the last year, if anything I consider her my best friend at this point. So, having her call me up in the odd hours of the night doesn't put me off in anyway at all. Now, having her call me and telling me to meet her outside is a bit odd, but it's Lydia so I'll do it. Let's add the fact that Stiles is in her car to the mix, and that's when it starts to get weird. Apparently, Lydia believes that her grandmother faked her death, and she needs Stiles' help to help recruit Sheriff Stilinski into looking into that mess. I'm here for "moral support", whatever that hell that means.

"Are you two not speaking?" Lydia quipped as she drove to the Sheriff Station.

Stiles was in the backseat, and I was in the front passenger. It felt nice to finally be able to claim the front seat, rather than be delegated to the back. Lydia had stated that I was to sit in the front beside her, for the whole moral support thing.

I sighed, "Not really."

"Why?" she pressed as she flicked on her turn signal.

Stiles cleared his throat, "Lydia, it's really not something I'd like to get into at the moment."

"Okay, well you two need to kiss and make up because I need you to focus and act as a team with me right now. Can't you just... I don't know, raincheck the argument or something?" she suggested desperately.

Honestly, I was all for the raincheck. I don't want to feel awkward around Stiles, nor do I want to not speak because I'm afraid I'll set him off. I can be civil if it means finding out what happened to Lydia's grandmother, who is obviously connected to the Benefactor in some way. The question is, can Stiles manage to do the same?

I turned to face him, "I'm willing to try if you are."

"Just because I'm willing to do this, doesn't mean I forgive you." he stated evenly, his eyes narrowed fiercely.

I nodded, "Likewise."

"Awesome," Lydia sang, "now let's try and figure out what the hell my grandmother has to do with all of this."

▴▵▴

"Your grandmother, Lorraine Martin, faked her death?" Stiles' dad echoed as he stared at the three of us blankly.

Stiles nodded, "Definitely."

"Maybe," Lydia spoke over him as she shot him a look.

I sighed, "More than likely, yes."

"I'm guessing you've got a story to back this up?" he inquired, folding his arms across his chest.

Honestly, of everything he's ever heard in his life he's having a hard time grasping that maybe Lydia's grandma faked her death? I mean, the man has heard of a Kanima for christ's sake and he's refusing to believe that someone faked their death?

Lydia nodded, "She might be helping the Benefactor."

"Or, is the Benefactor." Stiles added.

Sheriff Stilinski nodded, "That sounds like a story worth hearing."

I watched as he closed his office door and spun back around to face us. Stiles sighed, "Okay so it kind of goes back to when Parrish went with Lydia and I to Eichan to try and get some information out of Meredith, before she died."

His dad groaned, "Should I get him in here?"

"Probably," Lydia responded.

Sheriff Stilinski spun back around and opened the office door, "Anyone seen Parrish? Haigh?"