Chapter 20. Reason #394

"How did you know that sound on the tape was of the record player?" I asked Malia curiously as Stiles drove to the lake house. I was in the front passenger and Malia was in the back, but much like how I sit, she was on the edge of the seat so she was practically in the front with Stiles and myself. Normally, I'm the one in the back and Scott is here... it's nice having a change. 

She glanced at me, "When Kira and I were with her that day, when she was trying to get answers... she had the record player in her grandma's study on... it's kind of hard to forget that sound." 

I haven't been to the lake house since the night we took Liam there to try and contain him for his first full moon. It was also the night when I had my first bad feeling about Garret, I can remember that it felt like my skin was on fire the moment he touched me... all I can think of now is the saying liar, liar pants on fire. Maybe that's why it felt like a flames were dancing on my skin when his skin came into contact with mine, because he was lying to us. I don't know, I could be wrong. 

The fact that Garret and Violet were professional killers though, still astounds me. They were so young, yet so ruthless and emotionally detached. I can only imagine what could have brought them together and got them into the killing game. It's really sad that they turned into such monitors, when they could have been such kind and caring people. From what Liam has told me, Garret wasn't all that bad... he was probably a nice guy. You know, totally discounting the fact that he tried to kill Liam and I, both, and dropped us down a well so we couldn't be found.

Malia cleared her throat, "Can you explain why you two were fighting now?" 

"Uh, because we lied to each other." Stiles coughed awkwardly, more than likely wanting to avoid the whole topic of lying... mainly because that's why Malia left us for a short period of time and has allowed Peter back into her head. 

I could feel her scooting a bit closer, "Wait... so you lied to Kasey and me?" 

"Yeah, sort-of." he responded shortly, glancing at me helplessly. 

I sighed, "He thought it was the best option at the time, Malia. I mean, I lied to him too... so I can't really say anything on the matter." 

"Why does everyone hide stuff from each other? Like, nobody trusts anyone... and you guys were trying to teach me to trust you and Scott... and Kira and Lydia, too. Why? Why are you trying to teach me something that nobody does?" she asked, no malice or venom in her words... only pure curiosity and confusion.

Her question made my chest burn and I glanced at Stiles, praying that he would have an answer for her... because she was right. Nobody trusts anyone and that's the problem with our group. Scott is probably the only one that chooses to give people the benefit of the doubt and be open to seeing that there's good in them... but everyone else is so negative and is secretive. 

Stiles shook his head from side to side, "No, okay? Just-- no. I trust Kasey, I just didn't want her to be upset about the fact that Peter is your father. I didn't keep it from her because I didn't trust her, I didn't want to hurt her... because Malia, your dad is a psychopath alright?  I don't trust him nor should you."

I smiled faintly at his answer, hearing that he said he trusted me lifted a weight off my shoulders. After this whole fiasco about lying to him, I thought he wouldn't be able to trust me ever again. It's nice knowing that he is giving me the benefit of the doubt and willing to accept that I had no other choice with lying to him-- much like he is saying about how he lied to me. 

"I'm not asking about your opinions on Peter." she dead-panned.

"Clearly," I muttered. I hated the fact that she was in contact with him. I hate Peter for more reasons than I can count, but the fact that he's manipulating Malia is reason #394.