Chapter 14: Step Two Initiated

Tuesday afternoon, Lois called my cell three times in a row. She was outside the high school when last bell rang. My heart pounded itself up into my throat as she flagged me down. Gulping my fear, I tried my best to look innocent.

'You're a miracle worker,' she exclaimed.

'Huh?'

Apparently Reese got a B on his math test - the one I tutored him for. Our little bit of actual studying helped him pass his first test in almost three years.

I beamed. My heart flipped and tripped over itself.

I did that. No, wait - Reese did that.

'When are you available again, and what other subjects do you offer?'

That's when the guilt struck. Sure, I helped Reese pass, but it was a lie. Just to see him back when I still wasn't sure about my feelings.

Hell, I'm still not sure.

However, I kept with the plan and told Lois I was available Thursday.

Now, sitting at the Wilkerson's kitchen table, I watch Lois' reflection on my tablet's blank screen as she folds clothes on the diningroom table. I can't keep this up with her watching.

Fussing with the collar of my black button-up short sleeve shirt while Reese picks through his backpack for his math class' syllabus, I scour every inch of my mind for anything in Toria's guidelines. All I come up with is another lie. Convincing enough to be near the truth, but clever enough to disguise it.

I turn around in my chair to face Lois, "It's a little loud out here." I point to Dewey and Malcolm, who are playing some sort of board game in the livingroom with the red plaid couch, before gesturing toward the kitchen window where Hal leans over a table. The whirs of power tools and the hum of music punctuates my point.

"Did the guys not bother you last time?"

I shake my head, 'no.' "Mr. Wilkerson-"

"Hal," she corrects.

"Right; he moved us to the boys' room where it was quiet."

We stare off for a moment. Reese taps me on the arm, and I break eye contact. He hands me a crumpled piece of paper with a hole in the upper left corner where it used to stapled to other sheets of paper. Accepting it, I take a deep breath and look back at Lois.

"Go ahead," she says after a second.

I gulp and nod instead of replying. Word-vomit will most likely betray me, so I bite my tongue. Malcolm raises an eyebrow when my gaze lands on him.

We're better now - a lot better. After our, I don't know, truth-time, he's been a decent friend to me. We don't talk about Reese and me, though. Mainly school and each other. And my writing. It's both weird and cool that he's interested in it. I'm actually considering saying 'yes' to his request to read more. Something I've never done.

Reese settles onto his bed and leans back, picking up a sports magazine on his bedside table. The room is just as messy as last time.

"Should I shut the door?"

He shrugs without looking up from his magazine.

I opt not to in case she decides a surprise barge-in is in order. Resting on the edge of his bed, I watch him for a moment. His dark blue shirt has orange stripes on it that vaguely remind me Halloween is soon. He has on a pair of his cargo pants and no shoes, just socks. He catches me looking at him. Biting my lip, I avert my gaze to his syllabus.