Chapter 38: Return to the Wilkerson's

Avoiding Malcolm was easier than I thought. Since I was no longer searching for Reese, all my attention was on the task of avoiding the younger Wilkerson brother. I made sure I was the first one out the door in our first class together, and I didn't hang around after psychology class either.

Lunch turned out to be a little tricky when he spotted me mid-conversation with the girls. I couldn't just bolt like I had earlier. So instead I opted for the classic "I have to go to the restroom" and, naturally, all three girls followed inside. We just finished our conversation there until the first bell rang.

What wasn't easy was waiting to talk to Reese.

Since he went and got himself suspended for who knows what reason, I had to wait an entire day. It felt like everything took twice as long as usual. As if the whole world knew my plan, so it decided to slow time for just today. Just for me.

Oh, joy.

Lois didn't cancel the math tutoring session like I feared she might. Don't get me wrong, she was furious with Reese. But she figured forcing him to do math was a sufficient addition to his punishment – luckily for me.

When I woke up Thursday morning, my heart sank. Toria wasn't there. She couldn't help me choose an outfit or walk me through what to say. I was completely on my own. That... was not promising. On my own had so far meant making out with Donny, avoiding Reese, and letting my feelings for Malcolm cloud my plans.

It took me fifteen minutes to decide on an outfit: a black pleated mini-skirt, red blouse with a bow around the waist (in honor of my dream) under a silver cardigan, and a pair of high top Converse. Toria would have killed me for the shoe selection, but I figured what the hell? She left me on my own, so why not make today mine. I kept my makeup simple and only wore cubic zirconia stud earrings.

After an hour and a half, I was finally ready. I looked smart enough to deceive Lois and Hal – something I still wasn't super proud of – and cute enough to (hopefully) win Reese.

As ready as I was, though, I still had to get through school.

Talk about slow and painful.

Today seemed slower than yesterday, if that was even cosmically possible. I managed to dodge Malcolm all day, which was pretty simple since Herkabe not-so-subtly black-mailed him into doing some psychology thing before first period. He was grouchy and sulky and busy all day, so he didn't try to talk to me even once.

Ok, so that stung a little. I know I'm avoiding him, but it literally only took him 24-hours to decide I wasn't interesting. That did wonders for my pretty slim self-esteem.

But now I'm outside the Wilkerson's yellow house. The lawn is as dead as always, with dry clumped grass and patches of dirt. Several toys scatter it, and I have to step over a bike with a flat tire in the walkway.

Smoothing out my skirt, I double-check my reflection in the front window by the door. To say I'm nervous would be the understatement of all understatements. But I have to do this – no more putting it off.

It's now or never.

I knock on the door. Lois shouts for someone to answer it, which is immediately followed by loud footfalls. The handle jiggles and twists but the door remains shut. I frown, tilting my head to the side.

"I wanna answer it," Dewey shouts on the other side.

"Mom told you to clean the room," Reese shouts back.