Chapter 42: Win Some, Lose Some

Hey, everyone. Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Had some personal stuff come up that kept me pretty busy the past few months. But I'm hoping I can start posting more regularly now that things have cooled down. If you've stuck around for an update: thanks. Hope it was worth the wait -- longer and better chapters to come soon! -J

I didn't bother responding – I mean, he knew my verbal answer. So I answered with a kiss. Leaning into him, I lifted up onto my tiptoes and kissed him. And I could have remained there, wrapped in his arms, for hours. Day could have passed into night when cold inched up my bare legs, and I couldn't have cared less because I was exactly where I wanted to be.

But life just isn't that simple.

I lean my head back at the sudden realization that it's quiet. Just minutes before Lois and Hal had been yelling back and forth, but now they weren't talking. Silence at the Wilkerson house isn't very common. Something is amiss.

"We should go back inside," I say, turning to walk away.

Reese grabs hold of my hand and pulls me back into him – literally a move from a soap opera. He presses his lips into mine, and I almost forget about the sudden quiet. He presses one hand into the small of my back and the other against my side. My knees are actually weak, and I start to back myself against the back garage wall.

"Well, don't just stand there – help him up!"

We jump apart. Lois isn't standing right behind us like it sounds, but I can tell his heart is pounding just as fast as mine. Our eyes are wide like we've been caught red-handed, which I'm positive will happen any moment.

"You're mom said some weird stuff earlier, like maybe she was trying to tell me she knows I'm not really your math tutor," I say quickly. Reese nods, but his expression is his typical deadpan now. "I don't know why she said anything, but I feel like she's warning me. Like, 'if you turn out to be a tramp, I'll make sure you never see my son again.'"

Reese glares. Not actually at me, at what I said. Still makes my skin run cold. "Don't call yourself that," he says.

"What—tramp? I didn't actually, I just meant..." I frown then shake my head – we're getting off track. "Never mind. My point is that maybe we wait to tell anyone for a little while?"

His shoulders slump a little.

"It's not like I don't want to tell people," I say quickly, "I just think if we wait a little, maybe have a few more 'tutoring sessions'"—I use air quotes just to be sure he knows that I don't mean literally—"before we say anything, it'll seem less planned, more sporadic."

Reese blinks down at me.

"Does that make sense?"

"Sure," he says nonchalantly, shrugging.

I want to kiss him. Just press my hands on his cheeks and kiss him until we're breath gasping for air. I take several steps backward. A quick peak into the backyard reveals that everyone must still be in the garage.

"Let's go to your room and start cleaning."

"Why?" he asks, voice almost whiney.

"Because if anyone wonders where we ran off to, we can use cleaning and tutoring as a cover – and a good cover is one you can back up with hard evidence."

Reese shrugs again. I tell him to go first and then I'll follow a few moments later. Watching him saunter across the yard to the back door, I'm almost impressed with how nonchalant he actually looks. Makes me wonder if he's one of those people that can shut off their brains for a while. Lucky.