Chapter 1 - Mall

January 27, 2014

*Genevieve's POV*

"Genevieve!" My dad called.

"Quoi, papa?" (French; What, dad?) I asked.

"Je vais au marché. Je reviens vie.. Voici un peu d'argent, aller de l'avant au centre commercial." (French; I'm going to the market. I'll be back soon.. Here's some money, go ahead to the mall.) He yelled his answer.

"Je t'aime, au revoir," (French; I love you, goodbye) I kissed him on the cheek before he left and handed me the money.

"Je t'aime!" He said back.

I grabbed my keys to my car and got into my car. I drove around, exploring wonderful Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. This was only my third day here.

I asked for directions to the mall, but it was hard since nobody else spoke French. I had to stop and look up directions. After I did, I made my way there.

I began to walk around the mall, seeing lots of Australians, of course. People smiled at me. They must've known I wasn't from around here. Maybe I was doing something wrong? I wouldn't know.

I made my way up the escalator to the second level. I walked around a little bit, not knowing where to go or where anything was.

A boy came up to me. He smiled at me and began to talk to me, "Hi, I'm Luke.. You seem lost. I could show you around?"

I didn't understand a word he said. I looked at him confusedly. He asked, "do you speak English?"

I cocked my head to the side, "Bonjour, je suis Genevieve." (French; hello, I'm Genevieve.)

"Oh! A French girl... Sorry, une jeune fille française," he smiled.

"Corriger," I nodded, (French; correct)

"Bonjour," he hugged me, and I accepted the offer. I guess that's what people do when they meet someone?

"Je m'appelle Luke," (French; my name is Luke) he told me. Luke began to show me around a little bit. I couldn't understand most of what he said, but he showed me where all of the stores were. Before I left, I thanked him, and he gave me his phone number. I gave him mine, then left the mall.

When I got home, dad was already there. He told me about this woman he had met at the market. She had told him she had a son around my age. My dad knew some English, so he was able to talk to her better than I would be able to communicate with anyone. He told me they'd set up for us to meet after he's done at school tomorrow.

I didn't tell him about Luke. I only knew Luke, it's not like we went on a date or anything. We just talked, and he showed me around. I got his phone number, though.

I made my way up to my room. I got out my phone and realized I had a text from an unknown number. Was it Luke? The text said, "bonjour".

"Luke?" I texted back, then got the response, "oui."

"Je vais devoir apprendre un peu d'anglais.." (French; I'm going to have to learn some English) I texted.

"Je vais devoir apprendre un peu plus français?" (French; I'm going to have to learn some more French?) he didn't know if that was correct or not.

"Oui," I told him. I laughed and put my phone down, texting him every once in a while. Since I didn't know any English, it was a little hard on him. I felt bad, but I was going to make an effort to learn English, for him. I like him.

*Luke's POV*

As I returned home from the mall, mum told me she had to tell me something. I stayed in the living room with her so she could tell me.

"When I was at the store, I met this guy. He said that he has a daughter around your age. He was telling me a lot of great things about her. We were thinking maybe you two could meet sometime?" She smiled.

"Uh, sure," I agreed, "when?"

"He thought tomorrow after you're done at school would be okay?" She wondered if it was okay for me too.

"Yeah, that would be fine."

"Okay," she smiled and hugged me from the side before I went up to my room. I texted Genevieve. I really like her. I was only going to meet this one girl tomorrow to make my mum happy, not because I want to get to know her or even go out with her. If Genevieve finds out, I wonder what she'll think. Maybe she'll think I don't like her. Maybe she'll think I like the other girl better? But I like Genevieve..