Waving Hand

*Abby's Point Of View*

I held onto Mike's hand for dear life as he quickly led us down the little hill to the sanitarium. I tripped a couple of times and almost made us fall into a creek, but he never once let go of my hand or got angry at me for being so inhumanly clumsy. Up close the sanitarium looked worse than I imagined. The windows were mostly all broken, the structure looked like it might crumble down to the ground at any second, and there seemed to be something creeping through the windows in the darkness. We hid behind one of the walls that fenced in the place and watched as the Psycho entered the building with two wolves at his side.

"Jesus. That's not good." Miked whispered as he watched the wolves.

"Maybe we should go." I instantly regretted saying that, thinking of how unfair it was to Jess to just leave. Mike looked at me for a second then looked down. In that second of hesitation I jumped over the fence before he could say anything, we had come this far, I was not about to be reason Mike all of a sudden decided to back off. He immediately jumped and reached me, pulling me into a hug and holding me painfully close.

"Stop doing that." Mike whispered urgently, his warm breath tickling my neck.

"Doing what?" I was breathless, my heart beating a million beats per minute, and in the back of my mind there was a horribly guilty feeling gnawing at me restlessly.

"Running to the rescue. It's not effective most of the time, and you worry the people that care about you too much. It's okay to be afraid, specially if you know what the enemy is capable of." I wanted to cry then and there, but knew it wasn't going to do any good. Not to mention, clinging on to him for support was definitely not what I was supposed to do if I wanted to get rid of the gnawing guilt.

I pushed him away as gently as I could and nodded my head at him, signaling to move forward. Mike took my hand in his and continued walking towards the entrance, being careful to walk in the deepest shadows so as to not be seen. We both new right off the bat that the front entrance was not the way we were going to use to go in. The windows, although broken or frozen, were not a good entry way either. Stepping on all that glass might catch an unwanted wolf's attention and someone could seriously get hurt. I glanced at Mike's bare arms and blushed, we really needed a jacket for him. Then I saw a wall to the left of the front door and realized that there was a sort of hole or dog entrance that was only covered by a loose piece of metal. Mike had noticed it too and lifted our conjoined hands to point at it. We had found our entrance.

We were extremely careful not to make too much noise as we walked to the entrance, Mike holding the gas lamp really low to not catch unwanted attention. He stopped only once to read a sign right next to main door that said:

Condemned. It is deemed unlawful for any person to use or occupy this structure forthwith. Date; June 12, 1954

"Awesome. Why wouldn't we end up in the creepiest place on planet Earth?" Mike questioned sarcastically. I shrugged my shoulders and pulled him forward before any feelings of regret came back to me.

When we reached the entrance, Mike took it upon himself to open it, while I lighted him with the gas lamp. He pulled the piece of metal to the side and we both visibly cringed at the noise it made. After standing there for a few seconds to make sure no one was coming to check on the noise, Mike signaled me to hand him the lamp. I watched as he situated himself in a sitting position, the lamp lighting whatever was on the inside, and let himself fall in.

As he jumped in and the world around me grew completely dark, the whispers commenced to bother me and the shadows grew more menacing. The feeling that someone was watching me grew and it took every ounce of strength I had to crouch down and sit like Mike at the entrance, looking around frantically for any sign of him.