The Spirits Among Us

*Ashley's Point of View*

There was blood everywhere. The saw cut right through him, I could hear it, could feel it. The blood splattered all over the left side of my body, my face got mostly drenched, and suddenly all I could hear was Chris screaming and my crying echoing through the room. He was dead, there was no doubt about that, Josh was dead. I couldn't turn to look at him afraid of what I knew I would see. Tears wouldn't stop coming and all I could think about was how that could've been me.

"No no no. D-don't look, Ashley, don't look!" My eyes shut tighter and the pain in my chest intensified.

"Why can't I look, Chris? Please tell me he's okay, please...!" In the back of my mind I was still hoping that this wasn't real, that Josh was okay and I was just imagining this, but I knew what would happen if I opened my eyes and turned to look. The door that separated Chris from us opened just then and I could hear his hurried footsteps as he walked over to untie me.

"I'm coming Ash. I'm gonna get you. I'm letting you down." He kept repeating things like this to calm me and himself down. I tried not to make it worse on him, but couldn't help crying in desperation.

"Come on, come on, let's get you down... Come on... we're gonna get you out of here..." His hands trembled violently as he attempted to loosen the ropes on my wrists.

When the ropes were undone and dropped me down, Chris held me close to him and tried to keep me from turning to see the place where Josh was. I struggled against his grip and broke free; I needed to see Josh. When I turned his way my heart stopped.

"NOOO!" I couldn't believe what just happened, Josh was dead. He was gone and nothing we did was ever going to bring him back. It took everything in my power not to vomit right then and there.

"Shh, we gotta go, okay?" Chris let me cling on to him and tried to soothe me, gently stroking my hair and pulling me away from what just happened. We slowly walked out of the shed and towards the lodge, Chris being careful not to let me trip over my own feet when we heard from a distance someone call his name.

"Chris? Ashley! Are you okay?" Matt ran to us, Emily right behind him.

"Blood. Blood, whose blood is that Ash?" Emily was freaked out, and I just couldn't bring myself to stop sobbing uncontrollably and answer the questions. I think she realized this, cause Em turned to Chris for answers.

"Chris what happened?!"

"J-Josh..." Chris sounded like he was having a hard time speaking.

"Josh what dude?" Matt was getting desperate, probably guessing what had happened.

"He's dead-right in front of us man-" Chris sounded like he was in pain, and to know that I was the reason for some of that pain made it unbearable to hear.

"Wait what?" Matt's eyes widened, looking at him incredulously.

"What are are you talking about?" Emily glanced at my blood-soaked clothes and gasped.

"T-there's a maniac..." It was getting to be almost impossible for Chris to speak at this point, the memory of what had just happened too fresh in our minds.

"Oh my god. We gotta get out of here." Emily tried hard to maintain calm, but Matt lost it a little.

"I don't understand what happened-" He looked desperately from me to Chris, looking for answers. I looked back at him, but couldn't speak.

"There's a maniac. And... he was- there was a saw... and it was either him or Ash and I didn't know what to do. Cut right through him and- spilling out fucking everywhere-" Chris forced himself to speak through desperate sobs and tears.