Part Three: Wise Court

Sarah didn't bother changing her outfit for court. The one she had on told of power, and that was what she needed. Justinus had decided to stay to watch and advise, and though she might never admit it, Sarah was glad. She planned to watch him carefully this time. When he chose a place next to her throne to stand, she noticed. When he leaned and touched her hand while whispering his advice, she noticed. When his eyes were not on the complainant, but on her, she noticed. Throughout court, through the complaints of housing shortage, struggling poets, and prisoners of war, Sarah noticed the little things. Time seemed to fly. Yet the truth about the people of Rome could not be masked. In all the complaints, two things stood out: First, Rome was getting bloodthirsty. It always had been, fueled by war and death. But in reigns before, the annual executions of prisoners had taken care of this. Hundreds upon hundreds every year. Sarah grew up with it, hearing the screams and pleas of the doomed. Most were pleas of innocence. Some prisoners were younger than Sarah was now. And so, when Sarah had become Empress, she had said that never again would innocent blood be shed. Each and every prisoner must be tried by her before their fate was decided. But the fewer executions left Rome wanting more blood. And Augustus had told her what happened when the people wanted more. The second thing that was shown was that all of Rome needed help. Or at least, Sarah felt like it. All these cases, most of them sad. A widow had come in the middle of the day. She had bowed low, nearly touching the ground. She wasn't rich. She wasn't influential. But she needed help. "Empress, may you reign forever! I am your servant, a humble woman." Sarah had nodded to let her go on. "My husband was once a soldier, but I have recently received word that he has died. I am penniless without him! I have no family left, great Empress. I beseech you to help me, that I may live." Sarah had sighed. And then she turned the woman away. It was terrible, she knew that. But if one woman got anything, the rest of Rome would want their Empress to help them too. Sarah couldn't afford to do that. But it still hurt. The woman might die of starvation because her husband had died protecting Rome. After court, when everyone was gone and Justinus touched her hand, silent tears slipped from Sarah's eyes in mourning for her people.

This is a picture of Justinus, long-time friend of Sarah's.