Part Four: Flames

A warm breeze blew in from the sea as Sarah stood on her balcony that night. She rested her hands on the railing and looked at the firelight that lit Rome in the hours of darkness. She had not slept at all. Not that that was anything new. A troubled girl for a troubled empire, I suppose. And what have I done to fix it? Nothing. What can I do? In a moment, Sarah had grasped her deep turquoise cloak and was stealthily making her way out of the palace. Preferably, no one would know that she had gone. But if they did, Sarah could just give them a glare and that would be that. The torches that lit the roads were glowing brightly as she made her way through the city. The shops were quiet, aside from the few people who shopped at night and the business owners whom they visited. Everything was shadowy, from the buildings of the past to the construction site of the future. In the darkness, Sarah let her thoughts wander, though she was always alert. I wonder what Justinus is doing now... Sarah, why do your thoughts go to him, and not to your people?!? Shame! But scolding herself only made her think more of Justinus. I wish that I could see him more. He is wiser than I am in many things....and I enjoy his company greatly. No, Sarah...you are not his, he is not yours. Let life go on. But she couldn't. Not quite...Voices shook Sarah from her pondering. It was coming from the lighted window of a tiny house. There was a sort of awning beneath it, and Sarah lost no time it climbing it. From her perch, she could hear the words. It sounded like an older man, perhaps sixty or seventy, was having a conversation with a young boy. "...Again?"
"Again, Uncle! Tell me the story again!"
"Very well. A few years ago, I ran an inn in the town of Bethlehem. One day, Caesar Augustus called a census, which called for everyone to travel to his own town with his family. Bethlehem was so busy! Every inn was full, and people had begun to rent out stables as shelter for the night."

Stables? Sarah thought. How revolting to sleep surrounded by cows and donkeys!

"I had rented out every available corner. My home was full, my stable was full. But then came the knock...."

Do tell...

"....It was a young man. His clothes were those of a poor traveler, and his eyes were filled with worry. When I looked behind him, I could see why: his wife was very heavily pregnant, and with pain on her face, probably in labor. He looked me in the eyes and said 'Please sir! My wife is about to have a child, and we have no place to stay! I beg you, whatever room you have, let us stay there! Please...' The young man was panicking. This was probably his first child. His wife was young, and they were both so afraid..."

Poor couple...but the man had no room.
"I could not bear to turn them out on the streets. So I gave him the only space I had; a shabby corner of the stable, near the trough where the animals ate."

Ew. Oh well.

"Later, I went out to check on the couple. I hadn't come out of the doorway when I saw it. An enormous star, brighter than any before! The light shone in a different way, almost...holy. All at once, I heard shouting. A dozen dirty shepherds came into view, and happier faces I have not seen. They were crying out things like "Hallelujah!","Hosanna!", and "The Savior has been born!"

Savior? Born? Their Savior is a baby?

"I ran to the only place I knew a child would be: the filthy stable yard, where the young couple were. An amazing sight reached my eyes. The light of the star seemed to surround this humble place. The couple was by the feeding trough. The man was knelt nearby the woman's side. Both were so tired, yet their smiles were radiant. In the woman's arms lay a bundle, and as I approached, a tiny hand reached from it, fingers curling in the cold. I was struck with an overwhelming sense of holiness...this child was the One. I could do nothing but go to my knees before this baby...the Son of God, Immanuel, Our Savior!"

The man's voice broke. Sarah imagined that he would have tears on his eyes. Son of God?!? The innkeeper's nephew spoke again. "Uncle, I heard about the bad man. What happened to the little baby when the soldiers came?"

Bad man? Soldiers? Sarah thought. My father's census...Bethlehem...he must mean Herod. That scumbag. What did he do?

The innkeeper sighed. "The bad man was a king. Some important men from far away came to Bethlehem. They came through town on camels, their fine robes dirty from travel. I knew they probably came to see the Child. It had been about two years since the shepherds came. The couple, whose names were Joseph and Mary, had settled down in a tiny home. They were poor, as Joseph was only a carpenter. It was odd that they should have the Savior for a son and be so poor. But they were happy. When the men came from the east came, they seemed to know exactly where to go. After they left, I went to check on the family. The wise men left gifts.; very expensive gifts. Gold, frankincense, myrrh...I was surprised at the riches they gave, though I must say, it was about time!"

Hmm...gold, frankincense, and myrrh...they must have believed Him a king...

"Later that week, I heard Joseph outside my door. It was late, and I was impatient, and I asked what he wanted. "I have had a vision, in which an angel told me to take Mary and The Child and flee! Herod wishes to kill Him!" I doubted his story, but I could not argue with a man convinced of danger. I saw them to the edge of town, where they set off for Egypt. I watched them until they were out of sight. Not a moment too soon...."

What happened?

"...The soldiers came that night. They stormed every home in Bethlehem. No one knew what they were searching for until they heard the screams....the boys. All the baby boys, two years old and younger..."

The innkeeper paused. He's shielding his nephew from something bad...but he cannot stop the story now! What happened, innkeeper?

"..the soldiers killed all of them."

Sarah slapped her hand over her mouth. Her eyes filled with tears. No!

"All night there was crying and praying. Pleads for mercy that went unheard...I asked our rabbi why the soldiers had done this terrible thing. He said they came with orders from Herod. Something about a 'challenger', a 'King of the Jews'. I knew then that Joseph was right. No doubt God had sent an angel to tell him of the danger. The soldiers came..
..but they missed the One Child they were looking for."

They...killed...children...Under my father's rule... Sarah felt her fists clench. If Herod wasn't dead already, he would be shortly! But...the child escaped...miracles seem to trail this child....I wonder where he is now?
The uncle tucked his nephew into bed as Sarah climbed down from the awning. Pulling her cloak closer, Sarah began to walk home. There was fire in the innkeeper's voice. He believes that baby is going to save his people. He's so hopeful...I wish I had a reason to be. But Justinus does not care for me, and there is a war raging close to here. Sarah looked at the flaming torches that lit her path. Flames keep us alive, whether they be of fire or love or of hope.
But they can also be dangerous.