Part Eight: Victories

Time stopped in the Stone Circle. Of course, it was always stopped. But things seemed to slow down. Sarah and Justinus's eyes met. Justinus rose to his feet, grasping Sarah's hand with his good arm.
"Is what Feria says the truth?"
"It is."
"You are the Helper of Rome, sent to guide me?"
"I am."
"And you love me..."
"Yes."

The most beautiful smile spread slowly across Sarah's face.

Feria wiped away a tear. "That is...so beautiful..." She sniffed. "I...I am sorry. I only wanted...justice for my people..." She flopped onto a nearby tree, sobbing. Gracina went over to her. "It's alright." She reached out her hand as if to put it on Feria's shoulder. Out of nowhere came a blur of red and bronze and silver. A knife was in the figure's hand. He lunged at Gracina, going for her neck. But as Gracina dodged, the knife just caught her hand. The devilish glint in Feria's eye told Sarah all she needed to know. Justinus leapt to restrain Feria as Sarah drew the dagger she always kept hidden within her clothes. In a swift movement, she engaged the would-be-killer in combat. The battle was intense, but short lived. Hermanus, for it was he, was not prepared to face someone like Sarah was at that moment. Hermanus lay dead in a pool of his own blood in no more than a minute. Sarah stood over him, dagger in her hand. Feria's eyes burned with hatred. She thinks I'm going to cut off his head or some such gruesome act... Tears filled Sarah's eyes. I have killed another. By my own hands, he lies dead. I would do it again if I had to. But oh, when will it stop!?
Then she did a rather unexpected thing. The Empress of Rome knelt beside the body of the man who would gave killed her and everyone close to her. And she let the tears come. Silently, the mighty warrior fell away, to reveal the young woman, so very afraid of the burden she bore. At last, Sarah rose from the dust. "I am very tired of killing. I am tired of my crown and of what it makes me do." She looked Feria in the eyes. "But I will not leave my people. Not until I am the danger to them shall I leave them. I will kill anyone who tries to harm them in any way. " She turned her face away. "Averia, when we get back to my time and place, tie Feria up with the strongest rope you can find. Don't let anyone kill her." The captive Feria in tow, the group stepped back into the world they had left. The battle went quickly. With no leaders, the barbarians fell back. They ran and did not return. Victories were won that day. The battle for Love, the battle for Truth, the battle for Rome. Yes, many battles were won that day. But others were yet to be fought. Feria still lived, and Sarah had to decide whether she would continue to do so or not. But because of the victories and losses she had, she had gained wisdom for the battles of tomorrow.