Part Six: Battle Cry

Sarah had gathered all her friends in her room by noon. Myah, Charity, Averia, Lunden, and Gracina were all anxious as to know why they had been called. Lunden especially, as Sarah had asked her to bring several suits of the best armor in her kingdom. So Sarah told them. Every troop movement, every lost man. After she was done, all were a little on shock. It was then that Sarah realized that she was the only one out of the Royals who had ever seen war. If she were a different girl, and this a different day, she might have felt special. But she was Sarah Octavia Augustus, Empress of Rome, and this war was on her doorstep. So she was the first to break the silence. "I know you're all a little scared. But this is Rome. This is my life, my home. My father entrusted me with the care if the empire and its people. I feel that my duty to them is stronger than my duty to myself. I'd do anything to see them safe..." Sarah looked up, with a glimmer in her eyes that reassured her friends and would terrify her enemies. "...and I will. I've killed four by my own hand, several by order,  hundreds in the battles I fight. I will not hesitate to do it again if necessary."  Gracina, forever the concerned friend, spoke up. "But Sarah! You could die in the battle! What will come of Rome then?" "I would rather die doing what I must than live knowing that I failed my people." Charity asked the obvious. "So why are we here?" Sarah's throat caught for a split second before she gave her answer: "To say goodbye, if it comes to that." Absolute silence. Then Myah swiveled her head to look at all her friends. "Seriously? You guys aren't going to say it? Fine. I will: Sarah, there is no way in heck that we're letting you go into a battle alone. We're coming with you. Lunden, how many of those suits of armor did you bring?" And so it was that the Royals became involved with the Battle for Rome. Later that day, with as many soldiers as could be mustered, Sarah, the other Royals, and Justinus rode out from Rome. The horses they rode stood tall and proud, but humans and animals alike could sense the tension in the air.