Part Five: News of War

One week later, Sarah was sitting in her atrium, staring at the key in her hand. It was the key that would allow her to summon the Royals, her friends. I could use their help. My mind and my kingdom are as full of trouble as ever. But should I call them when I might be able to do this by myself? Would that be weak of me? A servant rushed in, bringing Sarah to her feet in alarm. The boy bowed. "A messenger here to see you, Empress. He says it's urgent." A minute later and the messenger came before Sarah. She could immediately tell that all was not right. The man's face was cut by an arrow, his clothes torn. He was dirty from the road and breathing hard, denoting that he had been running. He knelt before Sarah, panting still. "Majestic Empress...I come...from the battle....Hermanus....his plan cost many lives....and the enemy is...only delayed." Sarah hoped he couldn't see how hard she how hard she was squeezing the edge of the table. Many dead and only delayed! We are in dire straits! Sarah noticed that the messenger was still kneeling, shaking hard. Why would he be...oh. Messengers carrying bad news are often executed. Sarah walked quickly up to the man. He tried to stay still, but he cowered a bit. She stood there beside him for a minute.

Then she firmly grasped his hand and hauled him up.

The surprise on his face was unmatched. Sarah smiled. "Not today, my friend. What is your name?" "Vitus, Your Grace."
Vitus means life. Such an odd name for a man bringing news of hundreds of deaths..... "Well Vitus, today you must live. I'll arrange for you to eat. In the meantime, sleep. I'll send a servant with new clothes later." The man could say nothing as he bowed and walked out, happy shock on his face. Sarah looked out after him, making sure there was no one there. Then she fell into her chair and put her head into her hands. Tears welled in her eyes, but she would not let them escape. Many are dead, and my kingdom is falling anyway! I...I can't do this.... "Servant! Summon Justinus!" It was only an hour before he arrived, respectfully removing his helmet as he entered Sarah's presence. But Sarah couldn't use formality right now. She needed Justinus, her wise friend, not Justinus, the centurion. "Justinus, sit down. I need your advice." At least, that was what she said. What she meant was "I am genuinely terrified. Help!" Justinus just nodded once. "With what may I assist you, Empress?" He doesn't know. No one knows. "Justinus, the frontal attack has failed. We lost many men and have only days before the barbarians reach us." Justinus's eyes went wide. His hand moved, and for a split second, it looked like he was reaching for Sarah's hand. But he quickly placed it on the table. When he spoke, his voice shook almost imperceptibly. "Sarah, you have to get out of here." Sarah? He hasn't called me by my true name in years...

"Please! Leave and do not look back!" "I cannot leave my people. They need me."
"They need you to live, Sarah!"
"They need me to be there beside them! To show them that Rome will not give up, and neither should they!"

Justinus was almost frantic now. He looked straight into Sarah's eyes. The sincerity was unmistakable. "Sarah....please. Your safety is priority to your people..." And to you? What am I to you, Justinus? Why does it matter to you that I risk my life for my empire? "Justinus, I am sorry I wasted your time. It seems my mind was made." A shadow crossed Justinus's eyes, before being replaced with resolve. "Then I can do nothing but follow you into battle." "Justinus, I can't ask you to-" Justinus grasped both of Sarah's hands in his. "You didn't ask. I volunteered. Your safety is priority, remember?" He rose and left without another word. Sarah sat there for a moment. Then she took action. She might very well die in this battle. She had to see her friends one last time.