Part Nine: Of Love and Duty

One month later, Medieval England

In a castle in the country, there were plans underway. The plans were made by a young man, and their goal was to lead to the request of a young lady's hand in marriage. The plan was to take the young woman out with her friends to a clearing in the forest, where there would be food and dancing. While that was happening, the young man would ask the desired maiden to go with him to see a spot he had found. He would take her to a beautiful spot, a quiet creek, with trees and flowers all around. There he would ask her to be his wife. And so the plan was set into motion. But something went wrong. It wasn't in the countryside. It wasn't in England. It was actually long before most people living at that time were born, in Ancient Rome. In the depths of a dark galley, there lay a traitor. Many had scorned her, for they wondered how a servant could do so much harm. But even in her sleep, Feria was plotting. She wasn't through with Rome yet. And on one day in Rome, she escaped, sinking the ship as she did so. At once, an alert was sent throughout the world and its timeline to the Helpers of the Kingdoms. And that included that young man in England, none other than Justinus the Roman. His plan for the clearing was immediately put on hold. Instead, he asked Sarah to join him at the gate of the castle. She arrived in a white dress and a deep red cloak. She saw Justinus standing at the great stone gateway that was the castle's entrance, dressed in armor and mounted on a horse. She knew then that something was wrong. She walked slowly up to Justinus, who dismounted to greet her.
"Good evening, my lady."
"Good evening, Justinus. What has happened to make you leave?"
"Sarah...Feria has escaped. The Helpers must go to contain the situation if we can."
Sarah covered her mouth with her hand for a moment, her eyes full of shock, concern, and even a little fear. Then some of the Empress in her returned.
"Why tell me this? You could just as easily have ridden away in silence."
"You know I couldn't have done that..... Not to you. Not now or ever."
"Not...now? What do you mean?"
Justinus didn't say anything. He went to the saddlebags of his horse, retrieving something from within. He turned, and in one motion, knelt before Sarah, a simple golden circle in his hand.
"Sarah Octavia Augustus, will you honor me with your hand in marriage?"
The sparkle in her eyes and the radiant smile on her face spoke before the word came:

"Yes!"

And so, as Justinus mounted his horse and made his way out of the castle in the woods, a new chapter began in the story of the Empress and the General.