Chapter 21

***Allison's POV***

Sighing for the thousandth time since the plane had taken off, my foot tapped nervously at rapid speed, earning a few annoyed glares from the other passengers. However, no one would ever be as annoyed as Gryffin in almost any situation.

"For god's sake, Allison," he growled, his grey-blue eyes glinting with frustration. He reached out and set his hand on my leg that hadn't stopped shaking, and forced it to stay still. "Do you want to talk about it or not? You haven't said a word since we were finished packing. If you don't want to, then fine, but knock it off with the foot tapping, the constant shuffling and weird noises; seriously what even were those?"

I blushed slightly and smiled sheepishly. Those noises happened to me trying to communicate when I'm half asleep. After years of listening to them, Hunter could translate it no problem, but obviously, Gryffin was another story.

His glare softened slightly with my smile, and he sighed with exasperation and looked away again, but I could tell from the ghost of a smile on his lips that he wasn't really angry with me. I giggled and returned my gaze to the window overlooking my new home. I could feel Gryffin's hand resting still on my thigh, but I didn't say anything, knowing he would just take it away. It was comforting to say the least, as well as something else I really didn't want to deal with in that moment.

The moment the pilot's voice came through announcing our landing, I felt my entire body tense up and my eyes widen. I wasn't ready for this to be real. This whole flight I was able to convince myself that it was only a vacation. But the moment I arrived at my aunt's house and had to unpack my things, I knew I would have another breakdown coming my way.

I didn't notice that my breaths were coming sharp and ragged until Gryffin's arm had slipped around me and pulled me into his side. I leaned into him and buried my face in his shoulder as I attempted to catch my breath without any success. I couldn't help but be angry with my parents in that moment for sending me here; for what? So they could scream at each other in peace? Why was I the one to be forced to move to a different country just because they couldn't be in the same room as each other? Even worse, how could they have let themselves be who I looked up to for some idea of love, when this had been happening for so much longer than I even knew. I could feel my heart lying in pieces in my chest, and the pain brought tears to my eyes but I blinked them away furiously. I wasn't going to be this weak, I knew I was stronger than that.

I began taking deep breaths to try and calm myself as Gryffin hummed something under his breath, just loud enough for me to hear. I had no idea what song it was, or if it even was one, but it immediately made my entire body relax, and I could breathe again despite the pain in my chest. I sniffled slightly and pulled back to look up at Gryffin and give him a small, shaky smile. He only returned it with a blank expression and a glint of something in his eye I had to look away from.

Understanding.

*************************************

"Ready?" Gryffin's voice came from directly beside me, making me jump and muffle a yelp. Only a moment ago he had left to get our bags, I couldn't fathom how he had returned so quickly.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I demanded, hands on my hips in a true angry mom fashion. He only raised an eyebrow at my pose and smirked in reply, earning a scowl from me.

"Here," he said, handing me my suitcase. "Have you found her yet?" Biting my lip nervously, I shook my head and looked back at the sea of faces in motion crowding the airport. It had been years since I had seen my aunt, and I wasn't quite sure I remembered what she looked like anymore. I could, however, remember one very clear thing about her that I was both dreading and looking forward to; She was a complete nutcase. Sweet as can be, but frighteningly energetic and even more of a scatterbrain than me, which in my opinion deserves a medal.