Chapter 11: A Way Home

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh! and/or its characters!

Tears rolled down my cheeks. I didn't know what I was doing, crying, panting or screaming, I didn't know. I had put my hands on my temples, I was breathing way more heavier than was good for me and I just stared at the waves that slowly made their way to my feet.

"It's alright, Yugi..." I heard a voice say, and two arms snaked around my waist to pull me close to a warm chest. Appearantly he had noticed that I was hyperventilating.

"Breathe with me, Yugi. Feel my chest. In and out. It's alright," Yami whispered.

But Allison... And Eric... And Craig... And the rest of the passengers and the marines...

"It's not your fault, Yugi," he said, as if he could read my mind.

"Do you feel how I breathe?" he asked.

His chest moved up and down at a calm pace, very slowly, and I could feel the strength of his lungs.

"Do you feel it?" he whispered.

I slowly nodded and tried to control my breathing.

"You're doing great," he said softly.

And then it all returned again. I could see her right in front of me, screaming my name and begging for help, but I couldn't help her... I just couldn't...

"Yugi," he whispered into my ear and pulled me even closer to him. He shushed me. "It's alright... You have done everything you could have done for her."

It had been too much to see her like that. I just couldn't forgive myself. But we had buried her... And I would never forget her. Yami shushed me again. "That's it," he said as he felt that my body relaxed a bit. My lungs could fill themselves with air again. I felt the salty air filling my lungs up again.

"Are you okay?" Yami asked.

"Yes..." I whispered. "I'm sorry."

"Nothing to apologize for," he whispered. "Do you want to rest some more?"

"Yes, please," I breathed.

"Have you seen the mountain already?" he asked me.

I looked to the right and saw the enormous cliff that at first didn't seem so enormous at all.

"It's so high," I breathed.

"I bet that from up there, we can see the whole island," he said.

"That would be great," I said.

"Do you think you can stand up?" he asked.

I nodded. He stood up himself, and no longer did I feel his chest on my back. Then he offered me his hand.

"Thank you," I said while I took his hand and he helped me stand up. I still felt a bit dizzy, but the hyperventilation had gone.

"Do you want to go back?" he asked.

"I want to see the island," I said.

"Are you sure?" he asked me with a worried look in his eyes.

"Yes, I'm sure," I said. "I need to stop thinking about it."

He nodded. "Can your body handle it?"

"Yes, I think so," I said.

Yami jumped on one of the big rocks and held his hand out to me. I took his hand and he pulled me on the rock. He was being too sweet for me... He climbed on the next rock and I looked into his eyes, flickering as he held his hand out to me again. He was so incredibly strong... He pulled me up without any effort.

There were parts where we could walk, but on the parts where we had to climb he lifted or pulled me up, so that there was enough energy in me left for the walk back to our shelter.

"We're there," he whispered when we walked the last bit to the top.

The view was unbelievable. He had been right, we could see the whole island from up here. In the middle of the island stood the little lake with the sweet water where Yami had went, and close to that the waterfall. But there were parts of the island that we had never seen before. There were parts of the island where the jungle was really wild, and there were huge mountains on the other side of the island.

"Over there," Yami pointed towards the part where the jungle was really bushy. "I think that's our biggest chance of finding new food."

I nodded. "Then let's go there," I said.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked.

"Still tired, but better," I said.

He nodded. "Well, let's go then."

Getting back to the beach was way more easier than climbing the mountain. Yami pulled out his machete and he sliced his way through the jungle. I followed him, staying close to him, because I had never been in this part of the jungle.

"Are we going the right way?" he asked me.

"I think so," I said.

He nodded at me and he continued making a path, until we arrived at a little river. Yami put his finger into the water and then brought his finger into his mouth.

"It's sweet," he said. "Want to drink something?" he asked.

"That would be a great idea," I said, my mouth suddenly dry.

Yami sat down at the edge of the river and I sat sown next to him. He made a little bowl out of his hands and scooped up some water. I did the same and drank some water. When I looked up again, I saw something in one of the trees.

"Yami..." I said.

He looked up and searched for what I was looking at with his eyes.

"Are those..." I asked while pointing towards the tree.

His eyes widened. "Bananas..."

He stood up immediately and ran towards the tree. He picked as many of them as he could and in the meantime he threw one at my feet. I had never been so happy before to see a banana. It was perfectly yellow. Yami sat down next to me again and we both peeled one banana. It tasted so sweet, something I hadn't tasted for a while because of all those coconuts and fish.

"That a banana could mean so much," Yami said. "This is so good."

"I think it isn't too far away from our shelter," I said.

He shook his head. "Do you want to go further into the jungle?" he asked.

I nodded. "Sounds good."

We stood up, both carrying a good load of bananas, and continued our way through the jungle. The further we went, the more different plants we saw. Some had beautiful flowers, in all kinds of colors, and on some grew deep red berries. But suddenly, after a while, Yami stopped walking.

"What's up...?" I asked.

I went to stand next to him, and my eyes widened when I saw what he was looking at.

"Is that...?" I asked.

"A plane," he said. "Our way home."

The plane was very old and rusty, and it had appearantly crashed onto this island. But maybe the radio system would be intact, and there was absolutely a whole lot of parts we could use anyway. We looked at each other. We were going home.