A Homeless Gift (Pete Wentz)

I sat out in front of the record store on the corner of 4th and Elm St. like I do everyday holding a cardboard sign reading "homeless please help need food". Yes, I am homeless I'm a 27 year old lady. And your probably thinking I just use the money that pedestrians give me for alcohol to drink the miserable day away. Well no. I actually do use the money for food. I usually only get $125 a week. With the sign of course. I'm trying to save up so hopefully someday I won't be homeless. But that's a long ways away. I used the $25 for a weeks worth on food and water. The $100 went to my savings.
I wouldn't have the $100 if it wasn't for a sweet gentleman named Pete. He's an attractive man the will come to the record store once a week but a record and will kindly give me money. Sometimes he'll sit down and have a nice conversation with me about my weeks earnings or even just to get to know me.

We need more people like him.

Today was the day that he usually came to the store. I was always excited when he came along not because of the money but because he likes to talk to me and be friendly. No one ever takes a second glance at people like me.

I stood up and asked a lady for the time. "Um excuse me ma'am can you tell me what time it is?"

"It's time for you to back off you filthy animal. Take a shower!" She walked off.

Damn.. Rude much?

"It's 11:23" I turned my head to see Pete.

"Thanks Pete. Your 7 minutes early."

"Excited to see me?"

"Well as you just saw no one ever pays attention to me. Except you of course." I huffed.

"You know what you have a good point. Mind if I take you out for brunch?" He asked.

"Oh, thanks but trust me you won't want to be seen with someone like me."

"With someone like you? A kind, beautiful lady trying to make something of herself while everyone shoots her down but still gets up everyday and works for what she wants? It'd be an honor to be seen with you."

"Really?" I blushed.

"Yes really now let's go get some food?"

"Please." I smiled.

--------

"Anything else?" The waiter questioned.

"No thank you."

"So (Y/N), how the money coming along?" Pete asked.

"Well right now I've got about $900 saved up. But that will barely pay for one months rent. So I'll be on the streets for a while looking like a leach for money. But it's okay I've got a little tent that I have set up for shelter. Nothing special just a blanket tied to two trash cans." I smiled.

"You're strong you know that?"

"What do you mean?"

"You live on the streets with very little money for food and drinks because you save all of it up for a home and you've been doing this for a year now. But you still fight for what you want."

"Well I don't expect anyone to do anything for me in this cruel world. So, I guess I'm fighting for myself.."

"Well you don't have to anymore."

"Huh?"

"(Y/N) if you want I would love to have you move in with me. As a friend of course. I have plenty of room. It would get you off the streets."

"Pete no, I can't live with you I'd be such a bother. And what good would come out of it for you? Nothing unless I paid you and I don't think I can keep that much money to pay you every month."