2

February 8th, 1941

February 8th, 1941

Precisely one week later, Charlotte and Steve had planned to go down to Sal's for a night of dancing. Bucky caught wind of their plans and spent the entire week begging Steve to let him come along. Steve would just shrug and reply, "I don't know, Buck; she hasn't really mentioned you at all." But no matter what Steve said, Bucky was determined to go, even if he had to bring a date of his own.

Deciding on a plan, Bucky thought, "What better way to get the girl than by making her jealous?" He settled on asking Mary, a girl with medium-length brown hair, brown eyes, and a twangy Southern accent. While she was cute, she was nothing compared to Charlotte.

"Steve, what if we make it a double date tonight?" Bucky proposed. "I'll bring Mary."

Setting his drawing aside on the kitchen table, Steve walked over and plopped himself down beside Bucky. "Alright, Buck, we'll be going to Sal's at eight tonight. No funny business, okay?"

"No funny business at all. I can't believe you would think I would do such a thing," Bucky smirked, getting up from the sofa and walking towards the door.

"I mean it, Buck!" Steve shouted as Bucky exited the apartment.

While Bucky asked Mary to accompany him to Sal's for the night, Charlotte was in her room getting ready for a night of dancing. She curled her golden blonde hair into large loose locks, painted her lips a deep red, and finished off her makeup with a thick line of black winged eyeliner on each eye.

Getting up from her vanity, she wandered over to her wardrobe, her hand coming to a complete stop as she grasped the black fabric between her fingers. Pulling it from its place, she placed it down on her bed. Taking off her robe, she slipped on the long-sleeved dress, reaching around to pull up the zipper until it stopped mid-back. To finish her look, she placed two very large emerald stone earrings in her ears. Exactly on the dot, Steve knocked lightly on Charlotte's door. Rushing over, she opened it, allowing Steve to come inside. His eyes widened in shock as he took in Charlotte's appearance, knowing instantly that Bucky was going to be stunned the moment he laid eyes on her.

Allowing Charlotte to grab her things, the two rushed downstairs and climbed into their waiting taxi.

"You look great, Char, seriously," Steve coughed.

"Thanks, Steve. You don't look too bad yourself. Your nose is looking a lot better too," she smiled back.

"The pain's starting to go away," Steve informed.

Pulling up to Sal's, Steve opened the cab door to assist Charlotte. The night was pleasant, a gentle breeze tousling the golden curls cascading over her shoulder and playing with her skin. She was a vision of beauty. Once again, Steve held the door for Charlotte, letting her enter Sal's before following. Hanging up their jackets, they strolled through the bar until spotting Bucky and his date. Steve approached the pair first.