9

December 7th, 1941

Bucky stirred, waking up to the slight chill of his Brooklyn apartment

Bucky stirred, waking up to the slight chill of his Brooklyn apartment. He wrapped the covers tightly around his body, letting out a slight shiver as he shifted onto his side. December had arrived, bringing with it his first Christmas with Charlotte and Steve, and he couldn't be more excited.

*"Bucky you sure it's okay that I spend the holidays with Steve and your family? I can always just work the shift at the hospital. I really don't want to impose."

Bucky chuckled to himself before wrapping his arms securely around Charlotte's waist. "Doll, it's our first Christmas together. I'd hate for you to have to work. Besides, my mum and sister are dying to see you and I know how much Steve loves you too. You won't be troubling anyone." 

Charlotte smiled and kissed Bucky lightly. She hadn't spent the holidays with people for the past five years.*

Bucky struggled to free himself from the mess of blankets, tumbling to the floor in his quest to get dressed. He decided to spend the day with Steve, catching up on their talks. Quickly pulling on a pair of pants, a white button-down, and his coat, Bucky made sure not to scuff up his polished shoes. With his hands deep in his pockets to shield them from the biting cold, he walked down the street towards Steve's apartment. His knuckles brushed against a small box hidden within his jacket, containing his grandmother's wedding band – a gold ring with a round green emerald in the center, encircled by small diamonds. Bucky had carried it with him everywhere since his sister gave it to him.

The idea of proposing to Charlotte had crossed Bucky's mind numerous times, but every attempt ended in hesitation. He loved Charlotte deeply, but he couldn't summon the courage to propose. He wanted the moment to be perfect. Pushing these thoughts aside, he knocked on Steve's door before letting himself in."You look like you've just woken up," Steve commented. "It's almost two in the afternoon."

Bucky sighed, before sitting down at the kitchen table. "I worked the late shift last night, we had a lot to do and I didn't get home till early this morning."

Steve patted his best friend on the back. "Well, I'll make you some coffee, looks like you could use some."

While Steve brewed coffee, Bucky tinkered with the knobs and switches on the radio. After some fidgeting, he managed to bring it to life. The room was suddenly filled with a loud beeping sound, prompting James to quickly lower the volume.

"Steve, I think it's broken. None of the stations are working."

Steve came out with two cups of coffee and set them down on the table. "What did ya do to it, Buck? It was working perfectly fine yesterday."

"I didn't do anything." He laughed.

Moments later the beeping had stopped and an announcer cleared his throat over the radio line. "To the citizens of America, it is to my acknowledgment that the Japanese have attacked American soil striking the Pearl Harbour base at approximately 7:48 am this morning. The number of casualties is unknown at the moment. The country has now declared war against Germany and Japan. Any further information will be reported in the next broadcast in thirty minutes."