7

June 14th, 1941

June 14th, 1941

Bucky had risen from bed around seven in the morning. He took a hot shower and changed into a fresh black suit. Adjusting the tie around his neck, he then combed back his hair. Finished getting ready, Buck quickly made himself some breakfast before rushing out the door to Steve's. The sky was gloomy, and the slight breeze had a chill to it. Pulling his jacket tighter around himself, Buck continued to walk until he reached Steve's apartment.

Climbing the three sets of stairs, Steve's door came into view, and Bucky let himself in.

"Steve, you ready?" he called.

Steve emerged from his room dressed and ready to go.

"Charlotte not coming?" Steve questioned.

Bucky nodded his head. "No, she thought it'd be best if she stayed home. Said it should just be close family."

"That's very kind of her." Steve smiled.

Bucky sighed. "Well, we should probably be leaving; people will be getting there soon."

Agreeing with Buck, Steve locked up the house, and the two made their way to the cemetery where Steve's mum was being buried. Walking through the gates, they found the area where the funeral was along with the newly added tombstone.

In loving memory of

Sarah Rogers

'You are a bright shining star that will live on for eternity'

You will always be loved and forever be in our hearts

Bucky stood by Steve until more people began to arrive. A few older ladies who worked with Sarah joined, along with friends from the neighborhood, and, lastly, Bucky's mom, Winifred, and his sister, Rebecca. The pair rushed over to where Bucky stood, instantly wrapping him and Steve into one large hug.

"Oh, Steve, I'm so sorry, hun. Is there anything you need? If there is, don't be afraid to ask. James and I will always be here for you, you know that, right?"

Steve smiled. "Thanks, Wini, I think I'm doing alright for now."

Bucky's mom hugged Steve even tighter before turning her attention back to her son, while Steve greeted the other arriving guests.

"You look like hell, James. How are you holding up?" his mother asked.

Bucky sighed. "I could be better, just been having trouble sleeping these past few days. It's hard seeing Steve like this. The poor punk doesn't deserve this, I tell ya that."

"It'll be rough but he will make it through. He's a fighter." Wini stated.

A faint smile crossed Bucky's face. "You're right. I just can't help but feel worried for him. Poor Charlotte too, she's been worried sick about Steve and how he's been dealing with everything."