11

Southern England

Southern England

August 25th, 1942

Bucky awoke to the blaring morning alarm, a piercing sound that echoed across the army base precisely at 6 o'clock. Rising from his modest army cot, he swiftly pulled a shirt over his head, securing his dog tags underneath. With precision, he began meticulously making his bed, adhering to the commander's standards. Today marked his final day on the base. At 9 am, he and his crew would be deployed to North Africa to combat the Germans seeking control of British and US colonies. While James felt a surge of excitement at the prospect of action, a lingering awareness of the challenges ahead settled within him. The distance from Charlotte and Steve weighed heavily on him. The exchange of letters proved insufficient, but James was determined to work hard, anticipating the day he could reunite with them.

"Buck, you planning to linger there all day, or will you join us for some breakfast before we ship out again?" Dugan called out.

Bucky shook his head. "I'll join you in a second; I just need to finish up a letter."

Retrieving a piece of parchment from the trunk at the end of his bunk, Bucky began penning a letter addressed to Charlotte.

"Charlotte,

It feels like an eternity since I left, though it's only been three months. I find myself counting the days, each one stretching longer without you. I guess I'm just a lovesick fool, hopelessly devoted to you. Today, we're shipping out to North Africa, where things are getting intense. I know you'll worry, but please, don't let it consume you. I'll fight with everything I have, and I will come back to you.

Keep me posted on how Steve is doing; I can imagine he worries as much as you, if not more. Try not to have too much fun without me, though. You know how I am when other guys are around. Not that I doubt Steve, but you get what I mean, right? It's funny how protective I'm getting even in letters.

I love you, Char. I can't wait for the day when you become Charlotte Barnes. Counting down the days until I see you again.

With all my love,

Bucky."

Sealing the envelope, Bucky dropped it off at the mail station before heading out for breakfast. As his day began, across the ocean, an exhausted Charlotte was wrapping up hers. Her rotation at the hospital had felt endless, with a continuous influx of injured soldiers returning from the front lines. Each day brought more grim scenes, deepening her concern for Bucky. The absence of communication from Steve, since he mentioned joining an American army base, only added to her worries. Charlotte had visited Bucky's mum and sister a few times, but with each visit, the pain of missing James became increasingly unbearable.

As Charlotte wrapped up her shift, she clocked out and began the walk home, making a brief stop for breakfast. With the sun on the verge of rising, signaling the start of a bustling day, she yearned for the moments when she and James could lazily spend his days off together, lounging on the sofa and enjoying his record collection. Sadly, such moments were a distant possibility. Upon reaching her building, she opened the door and entered her apartment, where she spent most of her days in solitude. However, her brief respite was interrupted by a loud knock on her door, causing her heart to race.