10

May 25th, 1942

Charlotte let out a sigh of relief as she completed the last sheet on her patient list for the day

Charlotte let out a sigh of relief as she completed the last sheet on her patient list for the day. The early morning rotation proved to be more challenging than the late shift, but Charlotte didn't mind. She was eagerly anticipating spending the evening with Bucky and Steve. Bucky had mentioned something about showing her the future. If Bucky could offer her that, she'd be ready to marry him and settle into a worry-free life. However, their plans for the evening included visiting Howard Stark's exhibit and going dancing.

Rushing home from work, Charlotte hurried to get ready in time for Steve and Bucky, who would be picking her up at seven. Meanwhile, across town, Bucky found himself coming to Steve's aid as a formidable opponent seemed to be getting the better of him in an alley.

"Hey, pick on someone your own size!" Buck shouted as he intervened, pulling the large man away from Steve and ending the confrontation with a solid punch to the troublemaker's face.

The man retreated in fear as Bucky turned his attention to helping Steve get back on his feet. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched."

Steve sighed. "I had him on the ropes."

Buck spotted a small sheet of paper on the ground. Bending down, he picked it up, already aware of its contents.

"How many times is this?" he asked as he read the slip. "Oh, you're from Paramus now. You know it's illegal to lie on your enlistment form."

Steve gazed at Bucky with a somber expression.

"Seriously. Jersey?"

Steve brushed off Bucky's remarks and changed the topic, attempting to divert his attention from the fact that he had attempted to enlist. "You get your orders?"

Bucky grinned. "Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow."

"I should be going." Steve sighed.

Bucky's smile faded. Rather than debating Steve's decision, he placed a hand on his shoulder and guided him out of the alley. "Come on buddy. It's my last night. Let's get you cleaned."

In no time, they reached Charlotte's apartment. Bucky gave a brief knock before letting themselves in, calling out to Charlotte.

"Doll, are you ready?" he questioned, settling onto the sofa.

Charlotte turned the corner, adorned in the dress she wore the night she first met Bucky. Once again, the wind was knocked from his lungs as he widened his eyes at the sight of her before him. Charlotte herself halted, unable to suppress the blush creeping up on her face upon seeing the love of her life standing there in his uniform.