3

February 9th, 1941

February 9th, 1941

At nine in the morning, Charlotte stirred from her deep slumber. Rolling over in her sheets, she found the other half of her bed unoccupied. Glimpses of the previous night's events gradually infiltrated her mind. She recalled arriving at Sal's with Steve, meeting Bucky, and enjoying drinks with him and Mary. Dancing with Steve to various songs on the crowded floor was vivid, but after Bucky cut in for a dance, memories became hazy. After Steve escorted Mary home, Bucky lingered with Charlotte. Much of the time after Steve's departure remained a blur, and Charlotte struggled to recall the details.

Expressing her frustration, Charlotte slammed her fist onto the bed, and in doing so, her hand brushed against a piece of paper. Picking it up from the pillow beside her, she unfolded the parchment and read its contents.

"Charlotte,

I'll never smile again until I smile at you, I'll never laugh again what good would it do? I'll never love again, I'm so in love with you. I'll never thrill again to somebody new, within my heart, I know I will never start to smile again until I smile at you.

Meet me tonight at Mario's restaurant on eighth avenue. I made a reservation for seven. I'll be there waiting.

- Bucky."

As Charlotte read the lyrics of the song she and Bucky had danced to the previous night, a smile graced her lips. Placing the note on the table beside her bed, she knew exactly which restaurant Bucky had chosen for their dinner date. Anticipating a fancier venue, she decided to elevate her style accordingly. With the afternoon stretching ahead until their dinner meeting, Charlotte wasted no time. She began by cleaning her apartment, followed by preparing herself some lunch. Afterward, she treated herself to a relaxing bath, filling the tub with hot water, bubbles, and the soothing aroma that enveloped her senses.

As she scrubbed her body and washed her hair, Charlotte enjoyed the warm water until it turned lukewarm. Drying her long golden locks, she set her hair in warm curlers, pinning them into place while she continued with her beauty routine. Seated at her vanity, she applied layers of mascara, blush, and her signature winged eyeliner. Completing her look, she added a precise touch of ruby-red lipstick to her lips.

While undecided about her outfit, Charlotte browsed through her wardrobe, ultimately selecting an old, barely worn emerald green dress. The satin belt around the waist adorned with tiny emeralds accentuated the color of her eyes. Slipping out of her bathrobe, she gracefully donned the flowing dress, securing the zipper at the back. After an hour, she unclipped the curlers, running her fingers through her luscious locks to complete the look. Adding circular diamond earrings wrapped in gold, slipping on heels, and a few spritzes of her favorite perfume, she grabbed her bag and coat, ready to head out. There was one stop she needed to make before meeting Bucky for dinner.

Meanwhile, Bucky was getting ready in the comfort of Steve's apartment.

"Steve, do you think she'll come tonight?" Bucky inquired, fastening the buttons on his shirt.