THIRTEEN

- TWO DAYS -

Pete's pissed.

Patrick, being the too-brave idiot he is, signs up for extra combat sessions against Blurryface and his forces; Pete's terrified, naturally, but wouldn't you be if your boyfriend signed his life away?

Worry fills his stomach like hot acid; anxiety bubbling, he holds Patrick's hands close to his chest and whispers, "Please don't do it."

He refuses to listen, pushing Pete away with a kiss on the lips and a soft, "I'm sorry, sweetie." as he lines up for the makeshift sign ups.

Pete hates him more than ever, now.

Of course, with two days away from Blurryface's attack, he doesn't want to have extra lessons, but, being the only real telepath has it's perks and downfalls, and getting extra lessons from Dallon about using his talents happens to be one of the downfalls.

The only other Talenteds with useful telepathic abilities are the blue-haired girl from the dining hall, who introduces herself as Halsey, and a heavily tattooed punky guy named Andy who he's seen, but never spoken to.
Halsey is cute and spunky and all kinds of quirky and outspoken, whereas Andy is wise and soft-spoken, if not a little awkward even. Pete bonds with the both of them easily, even if he can't rid himself of the grim, sickly feeling in his stomach that they'll probably be dead by dawn in two days time.

They exchange tips and abilities; Halsey's abilities land mostly in water and controlling it, whereas Andy's land in fire - not to mention his super sick ability to throw sparks of electricity in his opponent's eyes if things get too close (an ability taught by his boyfriend Joe, an electricity manipulator).

Pete soon learns that intruding on thoughts isn't his only ability; his old idea of being a diplomat ends up coming in handy, because his other ability ends up being thought manipulation and changing ideas (although nothing too major). Although it's not too much of a battle move, he's good enough at hand-to-hand combat, so anything physical won't be too difficult. He hopes, that is.

Patrick and Brendon are sparring so often that Pete hardly sees his boyfriend; and when you've got one day until your possible death? Well, you really wanna stay with someone close to you..

- ONE DAY -

Dallon is getting paranoid.

With one day left until Blurryface's attack, everyone is frenzied and concerned - going over attack patterns and battle strategies in a hopeless attempt at living in the end. New intel comes in about Blurryface during the brief lunch period; apparently he's planning to bring along an army of fellow mutants, ready for blood - their blood.

Dallon's appointed himself as leader and claims that he's going to attempt at reasoning with Blurryface - it's a hopeless effort, but nobody dares to say so.

Pete's terrified to sleep that night, even with Patrick pressed up against him; his eyelids flutter like nervous butterflies, just like the ones in his belly. Eventually, he does sleep; falling into a light, dreamless sleep, wishing he didn't have to wake up.

- ZERO DAYS -

Fearful is really the only thing Pete feels.

Today's the day where he's destined to die alongside his friends. He's issued a sword and a short blade, both to keep on his person, along with Halsey and Andy. Andy ends up vomiting out his nerves behind a potted plant, and really, Pete wants to do the same.

Things are dead silent throughout the day; everyone is holding their tongues, bracing themselves for impact. The dining hall becomes a solitude spot, people hiding as they fear for their lives, the braver ones lining up

As the clock strikes 12 for noon midday, there's a crash of lightning and a darkness spreads across the building like a fog.

There's a flash of red, and then it disappears - and there,
standing on the makeshift stage where Dallon had announced his threat no less than three days ago, was Blurryface. Covered in blood, dressed in black like a funeral; his eyes smoldered an unforgiving rich red as his lips twisted into a cold, bloodthirsty grin.

"Hello there."

a/n // short sorta-filler chapter. didn't like this one but i really needed to get to the good shit in the next chapter, which is the last chapter before the epilogue rip