Chapter 12--Go, Go, Go!

8 hours.

That was how long you managed to sleep before you felt someone shake your shoulder, interrupting you from peaceful slumber.

"(Y/N), get up," a gentle voice murmured. "It's time."

You groaned as you opened your eyes groggily, then immediately bolted up in bed as Cinna's face came into focus, panicking.

"Cinna? Oh my god..." you murmured. "How long were you here?"

Cinna only chuckled as you got out of the covers. "Only a few minutes. It didn't take you too long to get up now. Don't freak out."

"I didn't mean to sleep in! I just...I just went out last night on the balcony and...oh god..." You looked down now at your arms to see that you were still wearing Cato's sweater. Then it hit you. Did Cato want you to have it? And was Cato the one who...tucked you in last night, kissed your forehead even? You suddenly felt a little dizzy and put a hand to your temple.

"Is that...it's not yours, right?" Cinna clarified with you.

"No no, it's not," you murmured, blinking a few times. "Um, that's not important, really. I'll get changed."

Cinna raised an eyebrow in suspicion, but he didn't question any further. "Clothes are just over here," he motioned to you. "There would be more things when we get to the arena."

The arena. You shivered as Cinna left the room, and you glanced down at the clothes by your bed. A simple black t-shirt and a pair of dark brown cargo pants were laying by the corner of your bed, and also a pair of comfortable hunting boots.

You first took off the sweater Cato gave you and hung it in your closet. You knew Cato meant for you to keep it, right? It was a symbol of friendship, to show that maybe he did care after all. But even so, you felt nothing strong for him, just gratitude for him being there last night. Slipping out of your nightgown, you quickly put on the clothes and met Cinna outside, walking with him all the way to the hovercraft that waited for you on the roof of the building.

Haymitch joined you now as you walked out with Cinna. "You know there'll be a bloodbath the moment the gong sounds," he murmured quickly to you. "Don't get too involved."

"Why not?" you asked him, raising an eyebrow in intrigue.

"It's a bloodbath there," he answered. "You'll get killed, you won't stand a chance. Find water, get some shelter and food. Don't worry about weapons until you can get your hands on one from a dead tribute. Or even a stone would work." He smiled and patted your shoulder. "Good luck, (Y/N)."

You nodded. "Thanks, Haymitch." You gave him a final hug and then headed onto the hovercraft, where you saw Peeta sitting right next to the only empty chair left on the hovercraft. Sighing in annoyance, you sat in that empty chair, he on your left side, Rue on the other.

Taking a closer look at Rue now, you closely examined her face, her eyes looking forward in determination, her focus unwavering. It was amazing just how quickly she adapted to the spirit and the grim atmosphere of the Games. You resisted all the urge to smile at her bravery, though. For all you know, she could last only a few days, even with a 7 in training under her belt. You finally tore your gaze from her and looked around at the other tributes. The fox-faced girl from District 5 was there, and Clove, and...Cato. He gave you a shifty smile, and you returned with a small close-mouthed smile and a nod.

As you all sat in the hovercraft, launched towards the arena, several female attendants went around holding out syringes. "Give me your arm," they'd tell a tribute, and the tribute would oblige to that, holding out their right arms as the tracker was installed in them.