Chapter 29--Endangered/Idolized

The elevator door finally opened after what seemed like eternity on your floor. You thanked the Peacekeeper quickly and exited the elevator, walking through the corridors to see Effie, Cinna, Portia, and Haymitch all standing there with grins on their faces.

"I missed you guys so much!" you cried, running all the way to the group, and even surprising yourself when you realized you landed in Haymitch's arms first.

"Nice job, sweetheart," Haymitch complimented you, patting you on the back, and for once, he sounded very genuine with his words.

"Thanks," you said, pulling away to hug Cinna and then Portia and then, finally, Effie. This surprised her too, but she eventually patted you on the back too. For a moment, you were relieved to see everyone before you realized something went amiss, and began to panic. "Where's Peeta?" you asked. "Is he okay?"

"Peeta's fine," Haymitch assured you. "He had minor injuries, so they were able to fix him up fine. But they wanted to make your reunion with him more public, so you won't see him till the victor's ceremony tonight."

"Tonight?" This made you put a hand to your temple. Everything seemed to be going by so quickly--honestly, it only felt like yesterday when Cato...no. You can't think about it.

"The Capitol nurses thought you were able to appear onstage tonight, since you haven't suffered anything too severe," Cinna told you now. "And even now, you still look healthy as ever."

Though in all due retrospect you didn't feel healthy, you still nodded. "Alright then."

"I'm going to set up dinner for tonight," Effie said now, strutting away to the dining room to order food, while you quickly excused yourself to your room. Running all the way there, you threw the door open to find that nothing has changed since you left. The bed was still unmade, the nightgown you wore still at the foot of the bed, splayed messily across it. In a panic, you ran to the closet, where you remembered putting Cato's sweater in before you left for the arena. To your relief, it was still there. Taking it out from its hanger, you held it gently in your hands and brought it close to your face, breathing in the faint scent of him still lingering on the sweater. Tears sprang to your eyes as the memories of you and him began to play through your head once more...but you managed to keep yourself together.

Cato wouldn't want you to cry over him.

The door opened to reveal Cinna, who entered the room slowly. "You alright, (Y/N)?"

You bit your lip in response, gently placing Cato's sweater on the bed as you looked at Cinna. "I...I guess so." You glanced down. "Cinna, you remember before we went into the arena, how I said everything was complicated and you said things can work themselves out?"

Cinna nodded. "I do."

"Well...I don't even know if what I did during the Games was right at all," you whispered. "I've allied with so many people they've all become, in a way or another, my friends. Now? They're gone. And I've got myself out of the arena alive, and I kept my promise to Prim, but what would be left when I return to District 12? What would I become?"

This seemed to intrigue Cinna. Rarely do tributes ever ask their stylists for help, but he tried his best to answer you in the best way so that he didn't incite any debates. "Your alliances with others...has given everyone a beacon of hope," he finally said. "I have been watching you throughout. So many people were rooting for you, if not Peeta or the other boy from 2 or the Career tributes. Your friendships just proved to others that...there's another reason for the Games to be played. To unite everyone together. To remind everyone of the reason they fought once before. (Y/N), you're a tribute who's changed everyone, and in a good way too."