Chapter 23--Betrayal

Crouching low behind the bushes with nothing but your bow, your backpack, and several knives hidden in your jacket, you jammed your hands in the pockets of your jacket as you waited for the things from the Gamemakers to arrive. Curiosity overtook you now as you wondered what your pack would contain. After all, you hardly had anything from your own district in a while. And the only living member of your family is your mom. What can she send you besides a few more blades, or a note? Or even her scrambled eggs? Your stomach growled a bit at the thought of food, but you had to remind yourself that you already ate what was left of the berries and the squirrel this morning, and right now is not the best time to think about food. 

Soon, you saw the first rays of sunshine creep from behind the tail of the Cornucopia. At the same time, the mouth of the Cornucopia opened up to reveal four packs set on a table. All of them seemed to be the same size, with the same design, except for the marked district numbers--2, 5, 11, and 12.

Just as you were going to jump from your place and dash to get your pack, out runs Foxface from another section of the woods. The instance she got to the Cornucopia, she snatched up her bag that said 5 on it and ran, slinging the bag on her back as she took off. 

Great! Leave it to Foxface to be able to figure out a plan to get her pack first! Now with her on the run, she's cost the rest of you some precious time too. Any moment now you would be engaged in a full-on fight with Clove or Cato or Thresh, and then you could be dead before you knew it!

Quickly, you dashed out of the bushes and ran all the way to the table at the Cornucopia, your eyes set on the table right in front of you. As you neared it, you snagged the bag that bore the number 12 on it, and was just about to leave when you heard a knife whistle through the air. In response, you took out a knife from your jacket, deflected the blade flying through the air, and flung it hard at the general direction of the assailant. As you turned around to face her, your jaw dropped. 

The person who just tried to kill you was none other than Clove.

Fear immediately shot through your system as you watched Clove take out the knife from her left arm, and you were just slinging the bag on your back and nocking an arrow when she sent the knife flying back in your direction. This time you weren't so lucky, the blade immediately slicing just on your forehead, above your left eyebrow. Without a second thought, you sent the arrow flying again towards Clove, already knowing that it would miss its target. Then suddenly, Clove was on top of you as she knocked you to the ground, and for a while the two of you held out a brawl on the ground, she trying to stab you with the knife in her hand, you trying to get her off, but to no avail.

"So, we meet again, (Y/N)," Clove said slyly, her eyes glinting with fury and evil as she held a blade to your throat. "What a pleasant surprise."

"What are you doing?!" you hissed, your teeth set in an angry grit. 

Clove shook her head. "You think we'd still be friends now, (Y/N)? After what you did to my other fellow tribute?" Her grip on the knife started to grow tighter, her teeth also set in a grit. "It's all your fault, (Y/N)! He's completely unable to fight because of you! And he's my only chance of getting back to District 2 alive. We would have both been crowned victors! But no! You somehow cast this spell that made him fall for you! He's in freaking love with you, (Y/N), and thanks to you, he backed out of the feast instead of fighting with me!"

"Well, if it helps, Peeta also stepped down," you told her, your fists clenching hard at your sides. "And I'm surprised Cato made that choice. Who would ever want to risk their life in a feast like this?"

An unearthly frustrated shout emitted from Clove's throat as she forced the blade deeper by your throat. "Maybe some of us should consider the sacrifices we make," she sneered. "Forget it, District 12. Instead of being helpful to us as Careers, you were completely useless. So why don't you just die off already? Just leave the arena, and we'll somehow find Peeta and take care of him too. Kill him off before he realizes what's going on. Because this is the year District 2 takes the crown."