Chapter 27--Was it All for Nothing?

A scream of horror immediately left your lips the moment you saw Cato on the ground, his chest and face smeared with blood, and you shot an arrow at the final mutt at the same time Peeta threw his knife at its throat. You watched as the mutt writhed around for a moment, its eyes wild and unfocused, before it collapsed onto the ground, no longer moving. For a moment, you were relieved, before your eyes landed back on Cato, who was still struggling to breathe, his chest barely rising and lowering with each painful breath he took.

"Cato!" you cried, sliding down the edge of the Cornucopia and running over to him, kneeling by his side as you cupped a hand to his bloody cheek. 

Cato looked like he was going to cry the moment he saw you. "(Y-Y-Y/N)..." he sobbed, taking strangled gasping breaths. 

"Shh. Cato. I'm here. It's okay," you murmured, stroking his cheek with your thumb. 

Cato's eyes were wide with guilt as he uncovered the wound on his chest. "She got me good. Clove, I mean."

"Clove?!" you cried, taking a look at the wound. It didn't look like much on the surface, but who knew what damage could have laid inside. The mutts' claws were really sharp, anyway, and with Clove's, hers looked like a knife. They could have punctured something important--his heart, his lungs... "But why would she--"

"I would never know," Cato chuckled weakly, lifting a hand to trap your hand on his cheek. "D-don't go," he begged now, his grip on your hand growing tighter.

You shook your head. "I won't be going anywhere," you whispered, feeling the air shift beside you slightly as Peeta knelt beside you, his eyes filled with worry and sadness, opting to stay quiet. Silence ensued for a bit before Cato opened his mouth and gave you his final requests.

"Listen, (Y/N). When you get out of here, don't...don't forget me," Cato whispered. "Keep the sweater with you. I...I'm glad to have known you, (Y/N)."

You nodded and smiled at him, your other hand now reaching into your pocket for the watch your mom sent. "You gave me something to remember you by. So I'll do the same for you." With that, you produced your watch and pressed it into Cato's other hand. "It was my father's. Even though it stopped working...it's the usefulness in its lifetime that counted. And you've done a lot for me, for Peeta...we'll make your death count."

Cato chuckled weakly and pocketed the watch. "Surely they'll know to bury it with me in the grave, if they ever could."

You nodded. "My mom will kill me, but she'll know it's for the best."

Cato nodded. "(Y/N), this might sound stupid but...can I kiss you?"

Stunned at the request, you glanced first at Peeta, who only nodded in assent. He knew how much Cato loved you, and throughout the games, though he was jealous of what you might have had with Cato, he couldn't stop him from fulfilling his final wish.

"Yeah," you murmured, wiping off as much blood as you could before you leaned in and softly planted your lips on Cato's. Peeta was wise enough to turn away, and you brought a hand around Cato's head now, as he gently reciprocated the kiss, his eyes slipping shut from exhaustion and lack of blood. The kiss was short, and soon you let go before Cato ran out of oxygen completely, just enough to see Cato's eyes shine with tears. 

"I...I loved you, (Y/N)," Cato whispered. "But you deserve Peeta. So I'm letting you go." Then he turned to Peeta. "Keep her close. You'll never know if you'll ever find another girl like her."

Peeta nodded as he reached for Cato's other hand. "I will. I promise."

Cato nodded as his eyes slid shut again. "Thank you," he whispered, his breathing growing shallower until it stopped altogether, just a few moments later.