Chapter 25--Not these. NEVER these.

A few hours later, after a good night's sleep with Peeta beside you, the rain finally stopped and you and Peeta were able to pack your things and head outside again, the fresh moist air seeping into your lungs and strengthening your esteem and confidence with a single breath. By this point, Peeta's ankle was almost healed, feeling very little pain when he put weight on it, and his burn was also improving significantly. Soon, the burn was hardly ever there. As for you, your head wound was healing a bit and you didn't feel much pain as the wound grazed against the bandage, and it stopped bleeding too. But you still kept the bandage on your head in case the bleeding started again. 

"So? What are we going to do?" Peeta asked, the moment you both stepped out into the open.

You shrugged in response. "I really have no idea," you said offhandedly. "Though one thing's for sure--we already ate almost everything, and a few cookies isn't going to last us very long anyway." You shouldered your bag and took out a knife. "I guess we can hunt for now. If anyone comes by on our tails, we signal each other."

"How so?" Peeta raised his eyebrows in question. 

You recalled the same day you and Rue were going to blow up the supply stash at the Cornucopia, and gestured to the necklace on your neck again. "We'll whistle something."

"Ah. And you know very well I can't whistle very well," Peeta pointed out. Then he caught your shocked response and laughed. "I'm kidding!"

"Okay then." You taught him a simple two-note whistle, which Peeta caught on very easily. Then you both went your separate ways--he to gather a few berries, and you to hunt down a few more animals.

Slowly, you tread through the woods, unable to believe your luck. Five tributes are left, and as Peeta mentioned yesterday, you two were the only team left. Two tributes from District 12. About to take the crown again after 24 years. You smirked to yourself, and just as you turned a corner you heard someone call your name, but to your surprise, it wasn't Peeta.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)! Is that you?"

You glanced sideways, where the voice was coming from, and you were surprised to see Cato running full speed towards you, his spear in the ready. Without a second thought, you raised your bow and strung and arrow, but Cato kept running, a tired smile decked on his face.

"(Y/N)! Oh my goodness. It's so good to see you again!" Cato cried, throwing his spear down and hugging you, forcing you to drop your bow and arrow as you buried your face into Cato's jacket. 

"Hey Cato," you managed to murmur through his tight embrace. "But how--how did you find me?"

Cato laughed as he let go of the embrace. "I was just there," he mentioned, gesturing to a very tall and sturdy tree which you assumed was his hideout. "And then I saw you hunting, so I thought, why not come to see you?"

You nodded as you tried to process what he said. "So...so you're not blaming me at all for what happened to Clove?"

This seemed to pull Cato up short. "Y-you heard about--oh. Of course you would. You were there when she died. You didn't kill her, didn't you?"

"No," you whispered, the memory once again swimming up to the forefront, and you shivered, as if Clove's cold blades and knives had touched your skin again. "Someone else did. But even so..." You bit your lip, unsure of whether or not you should continue.

"What? What happened?" Cato asked. 

You shook your head, feeling your heart clench. "She...she said...really bad things about me," you finally blurted out. "Said that I was the reason you didn't want to fight. That she had to go to the feast in your place."