Chapter 4

Puck van den Bosch

Seriously? What I wanted to do most was get up and beat Sean up. Yeah, that would be fun, except for when you have my strength. Not only am I two heads smaller than him, but he's also a good fighter. And as if that wasn't unfair enough: he was also the son of the Alpha. So I couldn't do anything.

"Well, well... got a girlfriend, Pucky?" another guy, Mark, sneered. The guys laughed.

"No, come on, Mark. Puck can't get anybody." Simon said. He grinned, hoping I would react. But I knew better than to react to their stupid remarks, even though the comment hurt.

He was right.

I would never get anyone. My mate would probably reject me.

I looked at Simon, his dirty blonde hair was messy and his pants weren't on right. But what did you expect from Simon? He slept with every girl, just like the rest of the group. I clenched my jaw. I was fine with them targeting me, but they had to leave Nova out of this. And come on, couldn't they think of something better than this?

Childish.

I balled my fists under the table. "I think he'd get someone before you would."

With big eyes I looked at Nova. She had stood up and was now pressing her finger against Simon's chest. The rest of the group looked at her with the same surprised expression as me. The entire cafeteria fell silent and heads started to turn into our direction, but that didn't bother Nova. Undisturbed, she continued to talk back to Simon's nasty comments.

"Do you know what they say? That behavior like this compensates for something." Nova laughed complacently to Simon. My eyes became even bigger, if that was even possible. Had she just suggested that Simon had a small you know what?

If she wanted to make him angry, she had just succeeded. Simon's eyes slowly started changing color, causing me to slightly panic. If no one interjected, Simon would turn into a wolf in front of us, and I doubted that he would leave Nova unharmed. Simon's face screamed 'danger' and I was very happy that Nova wasn't a werewolf; otherwise she wouldn't be alive right now.

It would break my heart to see her dead in a pool of her own blood. My wolf cried softly at the idea. Sean realized what was happening, stopped laughing and looked at Simon with a serious expression. "Calm down." He said in his Alpha voice. Simon took a few deep breaths and then walked away, all the while cursing. He said he would 'get that bitch someday'.

Sean, Mark and Tymo stayed behind and stared at Nova, but she didn't care. Her eyes spit fire and she opened her mouth to say something, but she closed it again.

I was lucky to have Nova as a friend.

'What?' My wolf, Blaine, popped up in my head. 'Well, you're still here.' I shouted at him in my head, angry.

'Did you just say friend?' I mentally blushed.

'We're friends, right? Why else would she stand up for me?' I felt Blaine become happy; we'd never had any friends before. Not that it mattered. I had always been fine on my own, even though it was nice to have someone care about me now. It filled the big hole that was in my heart. Not completely, of course, but Nova did make me feel better.

"Did you want anything else? No? Good! Piss off, then!" Nova looked at each of the guys in turn with a furious expression and then turned her back to them.

She sat down next to me again, as if nothing had happened.

"Just you wait, Puck! Just you wait." I heard Tymo shout. I swallowed. This wasn't good. Nova might've saved me for now, but it would be ten times worse this afternoon. Sean's pride was hurt thanks to Nova, and because they couldn't get to her, they'd settle for me. I closed my eyes and though back to the last time.