Chapter 16

Nova Rijn

I hurriedly nodded; scared of the next words Filius was going to say. What did he mean 'we didn't have much time'? And for what did we not have much time?

What was going on?

What the hell had I gotten myself into?

"Nova? Nova!" Filius waved his hand in front of my eyes, something that awoke me from my trance.

"Sorry, what?"

I blinked a few times before coming back to reality and looked at Filius expectantly.

"Nova, do you have any idea what happened while you were having your beauty sleep?" Filius asked with big eyes and I could see some disdain in his eyes.

"Sorry, no. Like you just said: I was sleeping." I retorted angrily and crossed my arms. I raised one eyebrow and stared at him challengingly, waiting for his answer.

"Lost your tongue?" I asked after four minutes of silence.

Filius growled and rolled his eyes.

"Unfortunately Nova, I still have my tongue. I also still have my wit, something I can't say about you."

"Oh dude, can't you think of anything better? Sad this, I had expected more from someone that calls himself 'the son of the Moon Goddess'."

I had gone too far: Filius growled loudly and lifted his hand. Right before it would hit my cheek he stopped moving.

"No, I'm not that low." He mumbled to himself.

I looked at him in shock. Had he actually wanted to hit me?

"Sorry, Filius. I shouldn't have said that."

He looked up in surprise.

"No, I should apologize. I never should've-" Before he could finish his sentence, we heard stumbling above us.

"Shit," he mumbled and grabbed my arm. He then looked towards the cell door and walked through it like before. The only difference was: I was also walking through. I looked at him, stunned. How was that possible? But then again, werewolves existed, so why was I still so surprised? For all I knew, a gnome was about to fly past me.

"Follow me, and be as quiet as possible."

I nodded and did as Filius said. I followed him on my toes, through the deserted hallway. Filius moved like he was floating, while I was having a hard time making no sounds. My heart was beating in my throat and I was scared that people would hear it if it didn't go slower.

Filius stopped walking when we reached a fork. We could go either right or left, where sounds were coming from.

I heard a low growl and a scream. That was Puck!

"Filius, we have to go left!" I whispered and wanted to walk past him, but he stopped me.

"Nova, wait."

"Filius, that's Puck, god damn it! We have to help him-"

"Nova, listen for a moment." He interrupted me.

I sighed and looked at him with an irritated expression. Wasn't he the one who said we didn't have much time?

"I'm going to help him, but you have to go right. That hallway leads to another tunnel: climb in there and continue to go right. You'll end up in a forest. Run as far as you can, I'll find you."

I nodded, but didn't really like this plan: me and escaping stealthily didn't go well together.

"Filius?"

"What?" he answered, irritated.

"Thank you, but don't you dare come back without Puck." I said to him before slipping away as quickly as possible, into the right hallway.

-

Filius

I looked at Nova and suppressed a small smile. She had courage, something she'd probably need a lot.

A sigh escaped my lips and I walked to the left. This had been going on for two days. It was a good thing that Nova had been unconscious, because if she knew what had happened in those two days- partly because of her- she'd go insane. I had watched everything from Heaven. My mother had wanted to go, to talk to Nova in her dreams, but I hadn't thought it was a good idea.

And since I was my mother's advisor, she listened. It had taken some effort, but it had been better for Nova to stay unconscious for so long. Otherwise she would have faced the same fate as Puck. Something I had had to listen to for two days.

I straightened my shirt before stepping around the corner, ready to enter the room. My heart started beating a little faster, but I had nothing to be afraid of: I couldn't die, but I could fail and say goodbye to the chance of peace.

A growl in which you could hear all Puck's pain and frustration trembled through my eardrums. I took a deep breath and walked through the door.

Inside was a torture chamber. Everywhere were knives and whips, all made of silver, of course.

Puck wrists were bound to a pole. His upper body was bared and was covered in blood. The two men in the room laughed loudly.

"S-stop, please!" Puck begged when the man attacked his back with a whip again.

"Hmmm... I don't think so." He grinned and the other man laughed again.

"Hmmm... yeah, you really should."

As soon as the words left my mouth the two men turned around in surprise and grinned evilly when they saw I was alone.

"Oh, little boy," the man with the red hair and goatee said.

I let out a low growl and before they knew it, I had already changed into my wolf -who was three times as big as a normal werewolf since I had Moon blood streaming through my veins, by the way- and their heads rolled over the ground. Puck stayed silent. The only noises he made were groans of pain now and then. I quickly transformed back to my human form, my clothes still on, and walked over to Puck.

"I'm here to help you." I softly said before I broke his cuffs like I had done with Nova. But as soon as his cuffs were gone, Puck sagged to the ground and I only know saw how bad these two days had been.

His entire back was covered in blood, hiding all the scars underneath. His arms were entirely purple and his face had a horrible sickly green color.

His right eye was swollen shut, just like his mouth. His eyebrow was bleeding and some blood was streaming from the side of his head.

The scar on his cheek had opened again and was bleeding.

"Oh, shit." I mumbled while I tried to help him up.

Even though I was the son of the Moon Goddess, I didn't have a lot of useful powers. I could walk through things, but that was all.

I sighed before changing back into my white wolf and tried to get Puck on my back. Puck groaned at every movement and I knew that it was only going to get worse for the seventeen-year-old.

I was hoping with my whole heart that my mother had planned a better future for him, because what Puck had gone through in just seventeen years was worse than what eight werewolf warriors went through in their entire lives combined.