Closer

Get closer to me.
I need to feel your heartbeat.
I need to know you want me.

***

I was finally released from the hospital after a week. I was checked on every day by Mickey but not for long. She just came to give me my homework. She seemed sad each day. I didn't ask though.

She happened to offer to take me home today. So after I got dressed in my usual comfy clothes we left. She drove me home and parked outside.

"Do you wanna come in? I have a lot of art. I figured I could show you. If you aren't busy." I said trying to be nice. She smiled and nodded.

"Yeah sure." I let us inside and ignored the arguing. But then I figured my mom shouldn't be getting heated like she is so I quickly went to go break them up.

"Hey mom." I said walking right in. My dad looked at me and flared his nostrils. I glanced at him then sat next to my mom. She smiled at me.

"Where have you been? I thought something was wrong." She said. She was clearly feeling better. Not for long.

"I got hit by a car. I was in the hospital. But don't cry mom. I'm okay. I had a friend keeping me company." My goal was accomplished when dad left her room. I kissed my mom's forehead again and helped her take her meds.

Then I joined Mickey in the hallway.

"Everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah everything is fine. Follow me." She followed me upstairs to my room. I unlocked the door that I kept locked in fear of my dad or one of his girlfriends invading my space. We went inside and I turned on my lights.

I turned on Kwamie Liv's recent song with Angel Haze and smiled. I loved my room. Mickey looked around seemingly stunned. She walked around viewing every painting, sketch, poem, photo, everything I had up in plain sight.

"You did all of this?" She asked picking up one of my framed paintings.

"Yeah. This is what I do. Keeps me sane." She slightly smiled and kept looking around. Then she came to the dreaded picture.

"Who is this?" It waa a black and white sunlight filled photo of my best friend Nia.

"Uh that's my bestfriend Nia. We don't talk anymore. She went to Egypt, on a school trip, and she never came back. No one told me what happened to her. I fear that she's dead and they didn't care. But it's better to not have an answer." I explained holding my tears back.

I missed her so much. She was the only one that ever made me happy. My mom makes me sad and my dad makes me angry. All my siblings moved away. One in college. The other two live with our grandma in Maine.

"Well I should get home. I have to watch my siblings everyday. That's why I always leave the hospital so early. You should come over sometime and meet them. They would love you." She proclaimed.

"I can come over today. If you need help. How many?" I said happy to help and stay in her presence.

"Just 3. 14, 2, and 5 months. You really want to come help me?" She asked looking up at me.

"Yeah of course. I'd be happy to help. I just need to change my clothes." She sat down on my bed while I went through the clothes in my closet looking for an outfit.

I found a black bodysuit, a black cardigan, and a purple maxi skirt to match my hair. I put them on inside the closet and put my hair in a tight ponytail. I put on my glasses and some purple vans. I walked out of the closet and seen Mickey reading one of the poems on my wall.

"Ready?" I asked. She looked at me and nodded.

"Y-yeah let's go." We left and went to her house. It was a really nice house. We went in and heard crying. She grabbed my hand and we ran upstairs to a bedroom.

The toddler was hitting the baby. I picked up the toddler and held her while Mickey picked up the baby.

"Hey why you being mean to your brother huh?" I asked pouting at her to match her face.

"He not stop crying" She said.

"Don't hit him. Hug him." I told her while squeezing her. She laughed and started playing with my many earrings.

"Kennedy!!" Mickey yelled while sitting down with the baby. I sat on the small bed and sat babygirl next to me. A girl, the 14 year old, walked in the room. She looked at me and smiled curiously.

"What?" She asked.

"How was school?" Mickey asked. Kennedy sat down on the floor and started talking about her day. Mickey really is a busy girl. I had no idea she was this busy. I shouldn't have been taking her kindness for granted.

"Oh dad left as soon as I came home from school." I heard Kennedy say. I got back into the conversation and Kennedy looked at me weirdly. "So are you Mickey's girlfriend?"

Mickey blushed and looked at her sister crazily.

"No I'm not." I said wanting to laugh at how red Mickey got.

"Darn. Think about it. She needs a girl so she can stay off my back about everything." She said smiling. I laughed and nodded.

"I'll think about it." I said even though I already did. I can't be that close to her. I'm a poison.

Mickey was silent and cherry red. It was so cute. She was still sexy as hell though. Wearing a pair of khaki cargo pants, black Timberlands, and a black baseball jersey. Her hair was in a loose ponytail, straightened.

I was staring so hard that I had to thank God she didn't notice. We all talked for a little while then Kennedy said she was hungry.

"How about I go make dinner and you 4 have family time." I said standing up and adjusting my skirt. Mickey got up and put the baby in his crib.

"We don't have any food. Let's all just go out to Steak and Shake. Kennedy go put on some different clothes." Mickey said.

"Kyra can you help me? I don't want Mickey to get you pregnant while I'm gone." I laughed at Mickey's red face and touched  her shoulder before following Kennedy to her room.

I helped her find something girly to wear and did her hair. It was curly and terrible looking. I detangled it and put it up in a sleek shiny ponytail. She had hair like my own. I just had braids in.

We met Mickey and the babies downstairs. Off to dinner.