Part 8

Dylan caught her before she could actually hit the ground. His arms swept her up and held her close. He almost couldn't believe his eyes. He thought he was surprising her!

She was pregnant? Wow. Thinking back he realized they had almost every time used protection. It was the almost part that equaled a stupid move on his part. He wasn't sorry though. He had missed her like crazy these last few months. He couldn't call or send a letter. He couldn't do anything that would jeopardize his unit and their mission. 

Dylan carried her into the house and laid her on the couch. She was huge! He had only been gone 8 months. Was she already pregnant when they had met? No, she had told him one late night that it had been months since her last failed relationship.

He believed her.  So she was having his baby.  He wanted to grin but was more worried about her.

"Frank, is she ok? Wilma, is this normal?" He asked, looking between the older couple, more scared than ever. 

"I'm gonna get a cold washcloth. She's had quite a shock."  Wilma said and headed to the bathroom.

"Yeah, me too! Is everything ok?"  Dylan was close to losing his temper, he was worried and they were just acting like everything was ok.

"As far as I know everything is just fine. I really think she just had a shock. She will come around." Wilma said from the hallway.

Sure enough, Audrey opened her eyes slowly. 

"Dylan? Is it really you?"

"It's me, babe. Surprise..." He said weakly.  Gawd, he loved this woman. He felt it to his soul when her eyes connected to his.

She responded by bursting into tears and pulling him to her. 

"Babe...don't cry. I'm home. I'm not leaving you anytime soon. Ah, honey." He crooned and hugged her back. He lifted her so she sat on his lap. He put his hand on her distended belly.  It was so hard and warm.

"I missed you so much." She said. She put her hand over his, her fingers tracing his.

"We are having a baby?" He asked softly. He realized that both Frank and Wilma had discreetly left. 

"Umm...well...." She laughed. "We are actually having two babies..." She watched the color leave his face and he stuttered, "Tw-...two babies?" He finally squeaked out. 

"Yeah..two babies...due in about 3 weeks although they tell me that a multiple pregnancy could go earlier." She smiled at him, her tears drying up. Dylan was back! Her babies had their daddy and he didn't seem to be running scared. Yet...

"Are you ok with it?" She asked after a minute of silence.

"Are you kidding me? Of course. It's very shocking but exciting too! I knew I wanted to pursue a future with you but figure this," he motioned at her belly, "would come later. We have a lot to discuss. I know this is sooner than we planned but I can't help but be more than happy that you will be the mother of our children.  Wow Auds..."

"I know! I have alot to tell you then. Come, let's fix up some dinner and we can talk." She got up slowly and held out her hand. He took it in his and got up, following her into the kitchen.

They ate and Audrey caught him up on the last 8 months or so trying to remember everything. She showed him the sonogram pictures and Dylan teared up looking at his babies. 

"This is amazing. What now though? Do we get married? I am more than willing to, don't get me wrong but I don't want to push you too early." Dylan asked. 

"I don't think we should rush into anything. I do want a future with you but we need to spend more time together and make sure we both know what we are getting into. I'm so glad your home safe and just in time for the babies to be born. I couldn't ask for more." She felt herself tear up. Stupid hormones.