Pokémon: Quest for the Truth by yourfavoritedork [Unavailable]

Pokémon: Quest for the Truth is a Pokémon fan fiction. The main character Ash Jr. is the son of the Ash Ketchum of the Pokémon TV show. Ash is 16 years old and hasn't been able to train Pokémon because his father refused to allow him to for unknown reasons. But now, his father has been gone for three years, and the local Pokémon professor wants Ash to do him a favor: go to Fuchsia City and prove that a recent riot was not caused by Pokémon from the Safari Zone there. If he fails, the government may pass a law that bans Pokémon from living among people.

This story is completely readable, but it does have some typos and errors in spelling and punctuation. There are also a few instances where I thought sentences could be worded better, but these are all small things. I know that some readers might not pick up on them at all.

In terms of the plot, it's a fairly typical Pokémon story in some ways. Ash Jr. gets his starter Pokémon from the professor and begins developing his skills as a trainer. It's also typical that he is on a journey, but the reason for his journey is unique, at least in terms of the fan fictions I've read. We also have questions about what has happened to Ash's father, which I assume will come into play later on in the story.

I did find myself questioning why the professor would choose to send Ash on this important mission since he's a sixteen year old kid with no experience as a Pokémon trainer. To be fair though, sending kids off on important and potentially dangerous missions is a recurring theme of both the Pokémon TV show and the video games, so it really is in keeping with the base material.

Another question, for me at least, is how the people of Kanto could consider such a huge change to their way of life. True, we have the devasting riot in Fuchsia City, but one isolated incident does not seem to be quite enough to justify a sweeping change to the very foundation of the society. Unless there are additional events that have taken place before the beginning of the story or are happening outside of the main character's knowledge. It can be difficult to say for certain, since the story is currently only eight chapters long. I would also like to see why we appear to have the same Jessie and James encountered by Ash in the TV show when the Ash in this story is that Ash's son. Like Ash Jr., do we have Jessie Jr. and James Jr.?

That being said, my favorite aspect of the story are the scenes with Ash Jr. and his new Pokémon. They're both incredibly cute, and the way it's written makes it very easy to form a picture of them. Both also have clear personalities, which is a special accomplishment given that these creatures are unable to speak anything other than their names.

I actually love the details in this story overall. There are many little ones woven in all over the place, and these are the things that really make the story come to life. In the end, that's exactly why I like it. From the cute Pokémon that make me smile to the beautiful scene of the starry night when they set up camp, the descriptions and realistic details make the story.

** Published in May 2013 **