2

Ki awoke the next morning to the sound of birds chirping outside her small bedroom window. It was barely light out, but with this being the last day before Revelation Day, she needed all the training hours that she could get.

Raising herself up from the worn mattress that she'd spent the past twelve years sleeping on, she rubbed her eyes. The house was quiet; Kattar must still be sleeping. He was usually up by now, but for the past couple of months he had been sleeping in longer than usual. He had also been drinking more as well. 

She recalled last night's dinner at Chi's and it didn't occur to her until now that whilst she was reading in one of Chi's many books about Aethorin's history, Kattar had ordered two more ales. He never drank that much. Everyone knew that Chi's brew was some of the strongest in the city. He must be really stressed, Ki thought to herself as she crossed her room and opened her closet. Picking through her meager supply of items, she opted for a pair of sturdy black trousers and a long sleeved green shirt. She knew she'd get chilly, despite the spring weather. She did her hair in a simple braid down her back and put on her leather boots.

In the darkness of the small kitchen, Ki set a kettle of water to boil on the stove. Searching through the cupboards she found box of ground coffee beans. Knowing that Kattar would need it before practice, she went on to make a strong cup for him and one for herself. She didn't particularly like the taste of it, but it did the trick to really wake her up on the heavier mornings.

As she poured the boiling water, Ki glanced out of the window and out onto the street. It was so quiet outside at this time, but she knew that within the hour, people would be bustling around, opening up their shops and vending stalls throughout the streets. Market Street would be the busiest, hence the given name, but the smaller streets like the one Ki and Kattar lived on would also have a few shops selling various things.

If only Ki had the money to buy what she wanted, but in the recent years, with her eighteenth year approaching, Kattar had started spending more time training with her than he did working. He didn't want to hire her one of the personal trainers that the city council had, so he'd taken it upon himself to train her.

Ki was grateful for it, but she felt bad for keeping Kattar away from his work duties. He had worked for years as a butcher, which was where he had come to know Chi so well when they would do business in the meat market, but two years ago he had stopped so that he could train Ki full time. They had been living off of his savings ever since, but they were almost out of money.

At least after Revelation's Day, Kattar could start work again seeing as he didn't have to train Ki any longer and she would be working as well. 

Stirring the two cups of coffee, the strong smell awakening her body, she heard mumbling coming from Kattar's bedroom down the hall from hers. Satisfied that he had finally woken up, Ki sat down at the small wooden table and cautiously sipped the scalding brew. Footsteps and grumbling soon commenced and seconds later Kattar appeared in the doorway looking half asleep and like he'd had too much ale last night.

"Why must you be so loud," he growled, trotting over to the table with a hand covering most of his face. His felt for his chair before slumping down on it. He'd definitely had too much ale, Ki thought.

"Extra strong coffee right in front of you," Ki said, pushing his cup a little closer. Kattar's hand reached out and quickly found the handle and sat himself up. He sniffed the content and wrinkled his nose.

"Smells strong enough to wake the dead."

"Looks like I made it just right then."

Kattar looked at Ki, frowning as if trying to figure out if she was joking or not. She kept her face straight and serious.