10

Standing in front of the food tents with the scent of breakfast making her insides churn, Ki braced herself for the next big step in her life. With Eldair by her side, Ki ventured inside the tent and was met with the sounds of about two hundred men and women chatting and eating their first meal of the day. Many didn't pay attention her as she walked down the rows of occupied benches. But the soldiers did notice Eldair and as more and more greeted him by name and with handshakes, more eyes drifted to Ki. Their eyes showed that they knew who she was. The new Air Howler.

As Ki reached the tables laden with food she felt as if her whole body had been examined from head to toe. People here certainly weren't afraid to stare. She followed Eldair's lead and grabbed a plate and filled it with fruit, bread, cheese and ham. Pitchers of fruit juice and water were placed evenly down the long tables.

They found empty seats off to the left. Ki caught herself looking around for the guy from last night, but being it was dark when they had met, she had a hard time recognizing any of the faces in the crowd.

"Master Eldair, you're back!" A man sporting big muscular arms on their right called out, greeting Ki's mentor with a handshake and a pat on the back that almost sent Eldair forward across the table.

"Soldier Thoran, it is good to see you're still alive and well." Eldair replied, adjusting himself before filling both his and Ki's cups with juice. She grabbed hers immediately and downed half of the chilled content in one go. The flavor was intense, but delicious. She dug into her breakfast, savoring the great taste of freshly baked bread and fatty ham.

"So this is your replacement," the man, Thoran said, loud enough for Ki and a few others to hear. Several eyes turned to Ki and all she wanted was to creep under the table and hide. She had never been good with attention, but that was something she would just have to overcome.

"Yes soldier Thoran. Miss Arynn has been chosen to take my place here." Eldair sent Ki a reassuring smile, one, which is struggled to return, with her mouth full of bread. She swallowed with difficulty before speaking. "Hello. Thoran was it?" She asked, extending her hand behind Eldair's back to the broad shouldered man. She'd might as well try and gain some friends on her first day and this seemed a good a time as ever. Soldier Thoran looked at her hand for a moment before grasping it in his larger one. His blue eyes sparkled with humor and a hint of mischief. He shook it with a firm grip and nodded, mostly to himself.

"Welcome to Warrior City, little Howler." Ki's eyebrow rose before she could even think about controlling herself. Thoran noticed and chuckled. "I guess you don't like being called little?"

"Size shouldn't really be a factor when I could send you on your back with a swish of my hand." Ki couldn't help it. She smirked at her own words. Bragging was not her style, but it felt good to see the wary look on soldier Thoran's face. It quickly changed as the man let out a roar of laughter and several others joined in. Before Ki could get upset, soldier Thoran spoke in between fits of laughter. "Oh, Eldair. I like her already. We'll have our hands full with this lot." Ki's tense shoulders slumped and a smile broke on her lips. She finished her meal whilst listening to the men talking about what Eldair had missed since his last visit.

Someone placed their plate on the table and sat down in the seat opposite Ki. Smiling from something Thoran had said about Eldair and Ms. Warda, Ki looked up at the newcomer, less afraid now that the ice seemed to have been broken between her and those soldiers seated around her. Her smile froze. The smirk was not as obvious as last night, but there was no mistaken him for anyone other than the arrogant guy who had embarrassed Ki the night before.

"So we meet again. Are you talking this time or will you just be telling me to shut up again?" Ki's ears burned, but she wouldn't fall into whatever trap had been set for her last night.