28

Ki and Thatch ran. They followed the thread in their minds that connected them with their fellow Howlers, letting it lead them in the right direction. Ki's heart felt like it was being torn apart as she thought of the men they were leaving to fend for themselves.

"They are skilled soldiers," Thatch said, as if reading her mind, which she wouldn't put it past him to be able to when connected. "The Shadow Walkers are the ones we should worry about."

They turned a corner, Emmie's pull on them intensifying and Ki knew they were getting closer.

"I can't believe we were dumb enough to split up like that," Ki raged. If anything happened she would never forgive herself for agreeing to such a thing. Thatch's hand grabbed hers and clenched it tightly enough to make her look at him as they ran.

"Don't think like that. Don't lose focus."

Rounding another corner, they saw movement up ahead. Ki felt like her legs were ready to fall off, but seeing the fighting made her push herself to go faster.

A wide crack in the ground told them that Emmie had been hard at work and they were careful to avoid it. Ki scanned the street, but couldn't see the Earth Howler anywhere. But Ori was busy; his sword moved like an extension of his arm and several bodies lay around him. Ki watched as his blade pierced the body of a tall man. The man's own sword was caked in blood as it clattered to the ground as its owner collapsed.

Ori was panting hard and he wiped his glistening brow with his sleeve.

"Where's Emmie?" Ki called out and Ori's ocean-blue eyes met hers.

"I don't know. She and Sarko were over there a moment ago." He pointed to his right, down another street.

Just then a rustling made Ki turn around and her eyes widened in terror. Three Shadow Walkers came towards them, moving so silently that Ki thought they were gliding. An eerie rattling breath emanated from these things, sending chills down Ki's spine.

"Let's send these pieces of filth back to where they belong," Thatch growled. Ki felt his gift tugging at hers as he moved his hands, summoning a large fireball.

Ki gazed upwards, knitting her brows together as she concentrated hard. She was limitless, she told herself. The once cloudless sky was growing darker. She'd never tried something so big before, but she couldn't stop now. The air crackled, charged by her gift. The sun was blocked by heavy clouds and it was as if night had come early.

Thatch's fire illuminated his face as he hurtled one fireball after the other towards the Shadow Walkers. One was a walking torch, its steps slowed, but it kept on coming.

"What are you doing?" He called.

"Keep them off a little bit longer," Ki said, her voice strained with effort. Her energy was pouring into her gift, but she had to do this.

"Just be glad they aren't running," he replied as the next fireball that hit the Shadow Walker made it crumble to the ground.

She felt Ori in her head and saw the image of rain before it began pouring. The rain splattered on the street, turning the dust to mud.

"Hey man, why are you trying to drown my fire?" Thatch asked Ori, but the Water Howler was too busy gathering the rain.

"This street could use a good cleanse," he said.

"Then by all means," Thatch said, stepping back.

Ki barely paid attention to her friends and what they were doing. She felt the first crack of thunder vibrate through her. Her vision was obscured from the rain, but she saw as two people came towards them.