25

About a month later, everything changed.

Ki and the other three were in the midst of training their connected mind-set when a soldier came running up to Sarko, muttered something and then they both took off. Everyone stopped what they were doing, their connection cutting off immediately, causing the flaming boulder, which was suspended in the air, to drop to the ground. Ki could feel the heat from the flames on her face, but barely noticed as Ori sent a cascade of water from the lake onto the boulder, extinguishing the flames with barely a flick of his hand.

"What do you think is going on?" Emmie asked Ki, who was practically gnawing on her bottom lip. Whatever it was, it couldn't be good seeing their training master run off like that. It had to be serious. A thought of Thoran entered Ki's mind, but she immediately pushed it away, not wanting to think such thoughts. No one had heard anything from the soldiers who had gone to the Northern coast well over a month ago.

Master Sarko came back soon after, his face stern as he headed straight for the Four.

"We're riding out, immediately."

"What is going on?" Ori asked, as they all grouped together.

"A messenger just arrived, they need reinforcements at the Northern coast. Apparently, it was not just mere pirate ships."

A heavy silence washed over them. Ki was the first to break it.

"What was it then?" Her voice was low. Sarko looked them in the eyes one by one, ending with Ki as he answered.

"Shadow Walkers."

A raven was sent to the capital, as a messenger boy would be too slow and soldiers as well as the Four Howlers got ready to ride out as soon as they were all assembled. No one spoke as they saddled their horses, Ki because she couldn't form any tangible words. She thought back to her and Thatch's encounter with Shadow Walkers. They'd been able to use their gifts, but the ungifted, Thoran. Ki's face blanched at the thought. They wouldn't stand a chance.

"It will take at least three days to reach the coast, so pray that we won't be too late," Sarko said to them all as they sat astride their horses.

Ki muttered a prayer to the air god, Wynd, asking for quick speed on their journey.

It took less than an hour for everyone to get ready. Ki's heart was racing, adrenaline pumping through her body. She wished more than ever that she could just spread her wings like a bird and fly to the aid of Thoran and the others. But she was grounded, forced to ride with the others.

"Fall out!" Sarko barked and two columns of riders, soldiers and Howlers alike rode out. Solemn faces met them as they left the city. The news had spread quickly and fear and fright were visible in the eyes of the people around them. Ki looked straight ahead, her own face a mask of calmness, but on the inside, she was frightened as well.

How quickly things could change, Ki thought as they went through the gates and out onto the road. Up front, Sarko sent his horse into full gallop and the rest followed suit. Ki gripped her reins tightly and urged her mare to follow. They had packed lightly, bringing only food and water in a pack each. Ki had a sword hanging by her hip, the hilt nudging her leg as she rode.

Thoran had practiced with her, showing her the basic moves of attack and defence. She was nowhere near an expert, preferring her gift, but she knew that using her gift too much was also a death sentence. If her gift gave up she needed to be able to defend herself and so she'd chosen the sword, like Thatch and Ori had. Thatch had even practiced Prince Rylan's trick with a flaming blade, though for some reason he hadn't made it look as incredible as the prince. Emmie had chosen a bow and arrow, which was now slung across her shoulder, a full quiver fastened around her body. She also had a dagger by her hip, but she had been quick to establish that she'd be no good with a sword, though she'd practiced throwing daggers at target. Her aim was good.

They rode at full speed most of the day, though towards nightfall, Sarko slowed them down, giving their horses a well-deserved break.

They didn't stop for rest, but travelled through the night, guided by the glittering stars above. At one point they walked, to spare their horses. Ki felt they were going by snail pace. It was infuriating, yet she'd never in her life been cruel to animals, so even as much as she'd wanted to jump back onto her mare and ride off, she respected the animal more.

As dawn approached they were back in the saddles. Ki and Emmie rode side by side, two rows behind Sarko. Ki noticed Emmie kept glancing her way and finally snapped.

"What?" She asked, a little too brisk.

"He'll be fine." Was all Emmie said, but Ki knew of whom she spoke.

"They may all be dead before we arrive."

"Don't say that, Ki. Have some faith."

"Emmie, these aren't just regular people they're dealing with. Ungifted have no chance against Shadow Walkers." Ki's heart skipped a beat at her own words. She wanted so badly to believe that Thoran was alright, that he was safe, but knowing first-hand what he was dealing with, she had a difficult time of convincing herself.

Another day passed and the wide grassy plains slowly changed to match the more barren plains in the North. They finally halted by a wide lake, letting the horse rest and drink as they ate a small meal of bread and cheese.

"Fifteen minutes then we're back on the road," Sarko announced. Ki and Emmie found a cluster of bushes a respectable way away from the lakeshore and dug a small latrine for them to use.

"I just want to be back on the road," Ki said, pulling her breeches up and buckling her belt.

"I know, me too, but what use do we have of horses too tired to even walk?"

"I just have this dreaded feeling in the pit of my stomach," Ki said as they laid down on the soft grass to rest for a moment.

"We'll make it. I have faith in that," Emmie said.

Sarko had them up and moving before Ki could barely close her eyes, but even the shortest of rests were enough to make her feel more awake. They quickened their pace and with riding through the night, Sarko said they'd be there in the early morning. Finally, Ki thought.

The night was cooler than normal, but Ki didn't want to use her gift to keep the air away, so she'd wrapped a blanket around her shoulders, tying a knot at her chest. The chilly air against her face was a good way of staying awake, though she didn't feel as tired as someone who had gone without sleep for two days might have been. She felt alert and kept scanning their surroundings for any sign of life.

There were no towns across most of the Northern boarders, due to the rocky cliffs, making fishing impossible and with the scarce food on the grassless plains, most villages were further south, making it a hope that they had been spared from whatever terrors roamed the land. Sarko had told them they were aiming for the Northern watch post, hoping the soldiers had stayed close to this point.

As dawn broke free from the darkness of the night, they spotted the first signs of people. Old campfires, grass flattened from being used as sleeping spots. They followed such signs for the better part of the early morning and as the sun broke through the morning mist, the riders were met with a gruesome sight.

"Oh, merciful Gods," Emmie whispered as they took in the devastation around them.