14

Ki caught up with Thatch down at the end of the cobblestone street. He was standing, or leaning against what used to be a florist shop, a wooden wheelbarrow lay turned over, flowers spilling out on the ground, decaying much like the bodies scattered around them.

"Let me guess," Thatch said, without turning his head. "Sarko sent you."

"No, I came on my own free will," Ki replied, making sure the sarcasm was noticeable in her voice. She came to a halt a few feet away from her fellow Howler.

"So, what do you make of this glorified Four Howler life so far?" Thatch said, casting an arm out.

"No one ever said that this would be an easy task," Ki said, remembering her conversation with Eldair on their ride to the capital. "Which means we have to be strong together and not stomp off like some unsatisfied child who didn't get his way." She crossed her arms.

"You know, none of us signed up for this," Thatch said, shaking his head.

"Yeah, well here we are." Ki turned back around, ready to go back to Sarko.

"Wait," Thatch muttered. "Did you hear that?"

Both of them turned around silently, observing their surroundings with their eyes and ears.

"What did you hear?" Ki whispered, knowing that if this was Thatch pulling some kind of prank, she would whisk his ass from here and to the sea on a tornado.

"I don't know exactly, but it didn't sound right. There, listen."

Ki strained her ears to listening as far and wide as possible and suddenly, there, an unusual rasping, like a haggard breathing. It sent chills down Ki's spine, despite the warming afternoon sunlight.

They were standing back to back, wanting eyes covering as much ground as possible. Ki was watching a corner to her left when she felt Thatch grip her hand, hard. Her breathing quickened as she twisted her body around and her eyes fell upon a hooded figure appearing from a doorway. Shrouded in a long black cape that dragged on the ground, the figure drew in a ragged breath, making the hair on Ki's arms stand up straight. There was no visible face under the hood, but Ki wasn't exactly keen on getting up close to check.

"Shadow Walker," Thatch whispered so quietly that Ki almost didn't hear him. He was still gripping her arm and she didn't want him to let go. She felt his Fire presence and held on to it mentally. They connected effortlessly. Ki's body felt warmer.

"Let's smoke this bastard's ass all the way back to the Wastelands," Thatch growled, finally letting go of Ki.

"Are you sure? How do we even know if we can kill it?" Ki replied, slowly getting her breathing under control.

"Guess we won't know until we try," Thatch said and produced a ball of fire in his outstretched hand. The Shadow Walker didn't halt in its steps. Ki estimated it to be around forty feet away.

"I should call for help. Sarko and the others should be here."

"What if it's not the only one here?" Thatch said, his eyes not leaving the creature. "I'm going for it." And with that he lifted his hand and threw the ball of flame towards the Shadow Walker.

The fireball hit the creature right in the chest, but to both Thatch and Ki's astonishment, the Shadow Walker seemed to just absorb the fire and continued walking towards them.

"Okay, now you may call for backup."

Ki filled her lungs with air and cried out, "Shadow Walker!"

Thatch had thrown another round of fire, but little did it do.